• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

An unwanted weed in a tropical freshwater tank

Paul Ellis

Seedling
Hi all

I have a dark green weed growing in my freshwater tank. The photo attached shows my glass heater to which the weed has attached. It spreads very rapidly by division. It sticks to wood, plastic and even glass. When sticking to glass it appears to form a foot that adheres to the glass. It's made up of straight leaves radiating from the base it is highly invasive in a very short time. I've tried taking the internal filter out and scrubbing it and, although this appears to have removed it when I put it back into the tank the plants return to life.

Can anyone identify it and, if so, is there any safe way of removing it or are there fish that would dine on it?

Thanks in advance for help.

Paul

Attachments

• 15392716619992662886677848682371.jpg
    15392716619992662886677848682371.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
3-4 day extreme blackout, squirting with liquid carbon (or hydrogen peroxide) and sorting the issue causing it in the first place are your way forward.

Welcome to UKAPs, whats your tank? Details would help is it high/ low tech?. Siamese Algae Eaters probly only fish(I know)what would eat BBA . Only usually young specimens and new growth of BBA would be taken. Algae eaters fish,shrimp and snail help in feeding on biofilm so adding them is recommended. Work out cause as Ian says but the discussion on BBA still debated

If it is BBA on equipment, take it out and soak/wash it in a bleach solution (unperfumed plain bleach is best). Rinse (if really worried about bleach, rinse/soak in dechlorinator solution) and put back in tank. The bleach kills the BBA, leaving white remains, which in my experience is quickly scoffed by fish.

You then need to tackle the cause, usually too much light for level of CO2 available and fertiliser available is main cause.

You haven't stated if you are using CO2 or fertiliser or what your lights are or what filter or even tank size ? Bit difficult to recommend a way forward without this information.

Back