• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

And a very expensive shrimp!!!!!!

I managed to catch a glimpse on a few of these plus the pure black shrimps whilst on my holiday in Hong Kong last year.

I didnt see the fasination on these and paid more attention to the CRS. I did mistake the price as a typo....

But whats the point of having them at that price??

mlgt said:
But whats the point of having them at that price??
This is an interesting question.

I recently did some research on super-expensive fish and shrimp from Japan and other Far Eastern countries i.e. Koi, arowana, CRS etc.

The Eastern philosophy is entirely different to the typical Westerners’ especially with regards how we place value on things.

‘We’ are generally obsessed with trying to get the best deal, financially, and will go to great lengths to save as much cash as possible.

On the other hand a lot of folk in the Far East, especially Japan, have a different perspective. They are very happy to spend thousands on a fish, or indeed a shrimp, because they view the animal from more than a cash-cost angle. They consider the effort that’s gone into breeding it, its heritage, bloodline etc.

In Japan it’s also considered very rude to ask an owner of a fish etc. costs, for various reasons. If Mr Amano was asked how much his big tank cost, I doubt he would be happy to answer.

To answer the question then, I believe the point is that a true enthusiast may be happy to pay that price. It still may seem like nonsense to most of us, of course.

Back