• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andean mountains + Amazon and Yarupa rivers

a1Matt

Hi Guys,

I have been quiet on the fourm lately as I had a month long holiday and then took a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of day to day life back home.

I have put some of my holiday snaps online. The pics are pretty basic (5mp Canon Ixus, point and shoot), but the scenery is so good I think they are worth a look at anyway.

There are some mountain (Inca trail) and jungle (Iquitos) pics in the Peru gallery, but I made a separate gallery called UKAPS as I figure you guys would want to see some pics that others wouldn't be as interested in (like a 30 foot high golden and red moss wall!).

http://www.a1matt.co.uk

It was an amazing trip, seeing the Amazon was a dream come true for me, and that was just one week out of four.
I am happy to talk about the trip but will wait for any replies as I don't want to bore people unnecessarily :lol:

Tonser said:
Great pics matt ! I've got to 'do' South America one day. :)

Thanks. My advice is to spend as long as you can there. I spent a whole month in Peru, and only scratched the surface :wideyed:

aaronnorth said:
Nice pictures, i particularly like This One

That is one of my favourites too. The pic before it has a carra carra falcon (phonetic spelling!) in it, I wish I could have got the bird in this picture that would have been perfect!
main.php

There was a phenomenal amount of driftwood in the Amazon. Some was like this and stuck in one place, but most of it was um, er, drifting! Here is a tree that my guide reckoned would have fallen in the Amazon whenever the next strong gust came along! We had to row past it asap in case it landed on us!

main.php

aaronnorth said:
How was the tank?

The CO2 ran out about a week into my trip, so I got my friend to cut back the dosing (from daily to weekly), and switched one of the tubes off (cutting the lighting down by a third).

I came back to a fair bit of algae, BBA, staghorn, and a couple of types of 'stringy' algaes (which I can't ID they all look so similar to me).
All of the plants are holding up OK, some of the mosses are no longer though :( My Marbled queen sword chucked out it's first runner which has quite a few plantlets on it, so it is not all bad :)
The fish actually seem happier and more active without the CO2\high light.

So I have decided to leave the tank as low light no CO2 :wideyed: and am enjoying watching the tank as I very slowly coax it back into shape.

Back