• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andy on Aquatic Plants

G

Hi! I'm Andy and I'm new to this forum. This is my first post here and I want to share with you about aquatic plants.

Some aquatic plants will grow under some conditions all of the time. In other words, anyone who wants to can grow aquatic plants.

Here is the secret: Grow aquatic plants that suit the conditions of your aquarium.

Know your plants. Buy a simple book about aquatic plants such as: Aquarium Plants Manual published by Barron’s. This is a good and inexpensive book to get you started; available in many aquarium stores.

Aquatic plants are just the same as those that grow in a garden. Some prefer lots of sun, some prefer shade, some like rich soil, others sandy, poor soil. Of course, all aquatic plants like lots of water but the beauty of that is — you don’t have to water them!

Calculate how many watts of light per gallon of water you have. You can grow most aquatic plants with at least 2 watts per gallon. Some will do fine with less; some will do better with more.

The typical aquarium comes with one light in the hood (aquarium cover). If you would like to grow aquatic plants spend the money to get a fluorescent hood as fluorescent lighting more closely emulates the sun than does incandescent lighting. A starter tank is generally set up with a gravel substrate with or without an under-gravel filter. You will be able to grow aquatic plants either way. Medium or fine gravel is better than chunky. Read more...

Back