• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's New 170l Lounge tank

George Farmer said:
andyh said:
Suppose i should make a decision on my lights soon o_O
If you can afford it, halide, IMO.
IMO your right!
stuworrall said:
ill go with halide too but then you already knew that andy :)
Good show on the tank being ready so quick. looking forward to seeing the pics
Yes Mr Worrall, i have worked out that you secretly are in love with your ADA MH and sit late at night once the family has gone to bed worshipping/drooling over it in your ADA pants! :lol: ;) (p.s nice to meet your family the other weekend! :D )
bogwood said:
Andy, when we collect your tank/cabinet this weekend, to save on fuel etc, why not get your ADA HALIDE, and matching stand.
Cheers,
Talk about peer pressure! :woot: your good at spending my money!
Garuf said:
10 days turn around!? Does the silicone even have time to set in that long?!
Garuf, good point wet lounge floor wouldn't be good! But i have every faith in the TGM boys i am sure they will advise. Anyway the tank probaly wont see any water for at least 2 weeks. Lots of tinkering to do before that :geek:
stuworrall said:
EDIT, have you ordered a new light stand Andy :thumbup:
No think if i go MH will suspend from the ceiling, My dad has very kindly offered to sort this as he has done several before! :thumbup:

looking forward to this Andy.

MH lamps are wonderful things indeed. Although, i've read in an interview with amano, he does consider what plants he wants to grow before deciding between MH or t5. he reckons 'crawling' plants, HC and stems grow better under T5.

I used to use halides on my reef tank, where it was common practice to suspend a 400W halide six inches above the water line and have one every couple of feet... How high would you reckon on having a halide to cover a three foot tank like this one?

Also, many reefers (myself included) shunned the aquarium lighting units and pieced together our own ballasts, reflectors and lamps. This had the advantages of being able to use bigger, more effective reflectors (mine were about a foot a side), more efficient ballasts to drive the lamps, and a bigger choice in lamps. It also lets you have the ballasts remotely to keep heat away from the tank, which can be a big problem with halides.

While being cheaper and getting better results, they can be ugly as sin if not hidden or designed well...

Does anyone use DIY halides in the planted tank arena?

saintly said:
looking forward to this Andy.

MH lamps are wonderful things indeed. Although, i've read in an interview with amano, he does consider what plants he wants to grow before deciding between MH or t5. he reckons 'crawling' plants, HC and stems grow better under T5.

Mark, hope your well dude? Interesting viewpoint, any links to the article would love to have a nosey?

Kosh42|EFG said:
I used to use halides on my reef tank, where it was common practice to suspend a 400W halide six inches above the water line and have one every couple of feet... How high would you reckon on having a halide to cover a three foot tank like this one?
Also, many reefers (myself included) shunned the aquarium lighting units and pieced together our own ballasts, reflectors and lamps. This had the advantages of being able to use bigger, more effective reflectors (mine were about a foot a side), more efficient ballasts to drive the lamps, and a bigger choice in lamps. It also lets you have the ballasts remotely to keep heat away from the tank, which can be a big problem with halides.
While being cheaper and getting better results, they can be ugly as sin if not hidden or designed well...
Does anyone use DIY halides in the planted tank arena?
Hi, I come from a family of fish keeping fanatics and they have all been Marine fish keepers, myself included, they have all had MH's at some point. For me its the shimmer of the MH that adds an extra dimension to scape, things just seem to look more natural.
I would be placing 1 x 150w at approx 15-18" i have seen this in a number of tanks and seems to be the norm. Obviously i would play around to get it perfect but from what i have seen, it should be more than enough.

The MH's i have been looking at come with external ballasts which is great as this can be hidden away and reduces the weight of the pendant. Not seen any DIY MH's but as can be seen with a lot of the tanks on here its all about the look :geek: Personally wouldn't have the foggiest were to start :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean about the shimmer created by a point source of light... Looks amazing...

One problem I would have to overcome with MH is light spill... I used to get it in the neck from Mrs Kosh as the marine tank halides used to blind you when trying to watch the telly if I didn't put the top surround back on the tank...

Kosh42|EFG said:
I know what you mean about the shimmer created by a point source of light... Looks amazing...

One problem I would have to overcome with MH is light spill... I used to get it in the neck from Mrs Kosh as the marine tank halides used to blind you when trying to watch the telly if I didn't put the top surround back on the tank...

Light spill is a concern, the ADA look like it does a good job as i got down on my hands and knees in the Green Machine last time i was there to check it wouldn't be a problem! Did get a few funny looks though! :crazy:

Also, with a halide, you can't reduce the lighting by switching tubes off like in a luminaire. You'll have to raise and lower the halide, which might cause light spill-out if you need to raise it high.

That said, that shimmering effect is nice. Don't.... don't follow the light... noooo!!! :lol:

flygja said:
Also, with a halide, you can't reduce the lighting by switching tubes off like in a luminaire. You'll have to raise and lower the halide, which might cause light spill-out if you need to raise it high.

That said, that shimmering effect is nice. Don't.... don't follow the light... noooo!!! :lol:

Flygya, not to worried i having about moving the MH up and down, based on the info from the guys on here i already know at what height i am going to roughly set it ;) The shimmering effect will look great in my lounge!

andyh said:
Well the boys at TGM have come up good, just had a message to say my Opti-white and Cabinet will be in on Thursday! NOT EXCITED! :lol: :lol: :D :clap: 10 day turnaround on a custom tank and cabinet is great. :clap: Hoping to collect on saturday so should have some pictures up at the weekend.

Suppose i should make a decision on my lights soon o_O

Well I raced to TGM this morning taking my Dad with me, tank in one car and cabinet in other. I have to say the boys at TGM have done me proud, the quality of the cabinet and the build of the aquarium is great.

I even spec'd a few extras like silicone seal all the internal cabinet joints, and use a waterproof colour matched varnish to seal all the cuts/holes etc, to prevent water being absorbed into the wood. Jim helped me get a good colour match with the cabinet and it looks great in the lounge. Its in a dark mahogany colour, which matches all my other furniture in the lounge (have to keep the wife happy) :shh:

The tank is awesome 90x45x45 optiwhite in 10mm, i also got a grey tank mat to protect the bottom of the tank with, easy to fit, just used my scalpel to trim it down to size. The 45cm depth and height gives load of space for scaping, baring in mind my last tank was on a 60l.

No pics just yet, but will have some up shortly :thumbup:

Also, I think i have made a decision on the light front :geek:

So here is my lovely new cabinet and tank, albeit it not quite in its final position as i have some electrics to play with first:
The viewing chair:
web.jpg

web.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Andyh

nice one andy, looks really good in its new place :) If you get the chance stick up some closeup of the sealant and the cab edges. Wouldnt mind having a look to see how they compare to other tanks. ta stu

ps, and get scaping! :D

The talented newcomer to aquascaping now has a very nice canvas...

Looking forward to this one, Andy.

So what's the plan then? Have you a design in mind? You gotta try out Tropica's new Hygrophila...

flygja said:
What a beauty!
Cheers! I am happy :D
stuworrall said:
nice one andy, looks really good in its new place :) If you get the chance stick up some closeup of the sealant and the cab edges. Wouldnt mind having a look to see how they compare to other tanks. ta stu
ps, and get scaping! :D
Thanks dude, will post some pics up when i get chance, scaping will happen soon :D
viktorlantos said:
great gear! can not wait to see this planted :thumbup:
Bobtastic said:
Awesome Andy, certainly is a beaut! Can't wait to see the finished scape.
Thanks Guys :thumbup:
George Farmer said:
The talented newcomer to aquascaping now has a very nice canvas...
Looking forward to this one, Andy.
So what's the plan then? Have you a design in mind? You gotta try out Tropica's new Hygrophila...

Thanks for the encouraging words! not sure about being talented! :lol:

I have some designs in mind, but not quite there. I am spending a lot more time on the planning stage at the moment and trying to get things right in my head. I am planning on buying the hardscape materials this weekend, so should start some scaping next week hopefully!

As for plants, i will be trying at least one or two of the new Tropica plants ;)

Not much has happened this week, as i have been away on business but hoping to get things moving this weekend, one thing i did manage to do was order my light. Metal Halide here we come :D NOT EXCITED AT ALL :lol: :lol:

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank

Things moving on now nicely now :geek:

I had three parcels arrive today

Firstly my new filter an Eheim external 2075 (1250lph) which combined with my 2324 thermo (700lph) gives me 1950lph, which should be ideal! Will post some pics of the 2075 once get it un-packed for anybody who is interested.

Parcel number two and three:
A load of Manzi wood from the boys at Plantedbox.com, which i chose from photos of the individual pieces sent to me by James. There are some great pieces and before anybody comments i have just placed them in the tank to keep them out of the way. They are not scaped! So no comments!
Then a really heavy box of Ohku stone (aka Dragon Stone) once again from Plantedbox.com, some of these are great pieces including one that is almost 2ft long!

A couple of quick pics with my phone:
web.jpg

web.jpg

The only thing that worries me slightly is the calibre of the current tanks here on UKAPS! I hope i can create something good enough!!! :( :?

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank

The wood on the right should be 3cm to the left. Other than that it's really nice.

The woods great, You'll love scaping with it, I have done. It's really versatile as it's easier to cobble forms together with than Redmoor is.

Back