• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 190l Lounge tank (update 20-09-11)

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank

LondonDragon said:
Nice glassware indeed :) looking good so far ;) but you haven't done much yet haha
Cheeky, i have done loads!
Garuf said:
I'm surprised you didn't get the Do! Aqua lily jet, it does look excellent though. I'm certain your scape will be twice as good as the equipment.
I did consider them, but the Cal Aqua kit was the same price and looks very good. Cheers for the vote of confidence :thumbup:
bogwood said:
Nice to see things starting to happen, somthing to show for all the ££££££££££££££££££££££. :clap:
Very fortunate your joist was in the right position, and i agree the suspension kit looks very neat.
The glassware is well cool, should go well with your GREEN EHEIM PIPING :lol: Only joking Andy, im sure you already have a alternative planned.
No green piping anywhere on this! :D
Vito said:
Hey andy looking good, I am curious as to what the bacround is your using???? where can I get some
The background is from stickybackplastics.co.uk. Recommended by Tonser
chilled84 said:
Andy Andy Andy, Im going to be watching this one mate. The setup alone has my interest. If i had the pounds I would go right down the route your takeing. Keep working! Pictures a must!
Chilled chilled chilled, thanks dude!

So been playing with the dragon stone and Manzi wood, here is a few pics for you to see what i am trying to create, feedback and comments welcomed as always!

I will be planting with ferns and crypts and having a carpet plant to cover the entire bottom on the tank probably Parvula.

But looking at the following:
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Echinodorus 'Vesuvius'
Microsorum pteropus narrow
Pogostemon erectus
various mosses from my existing tanks.
Plus a couple of crypts (i want a reddish one, any suggestions)

The left hand side will be planted heavily so you cant see the base of the wood etc. Then over to the right the carpet of parvula will be the main feature.
Design One
web.jpg

Design Two photo 1
web.jpg

Design Two photo 2
web.jpg

Re: Andyh's New 190l Lounge tank. It's Begun!

I like the 2nd one and for the crypt try "Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Mi Oya'" I'll take a pic if you want lol.

stuworrall said:
nice one :D Id go with samc too and say the second with the far stone removed or buried more so its not as visible

samc said:
excellent andy!
i love the second layout. i would remove the far right stone though. i dont think you need it 8)

Ok sunk the rock a loads more and looks a lot better:
Taken with phone so not the greatest:
web.jpg

What do you reckon, or remove all together?
Krish's Bettas said:
I like the 2nd one and for the crypt try "Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Mi Oya'" I'll take a pic if you want lol.

Cheers Krish, is this the one you mean:
http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=109D

Yep the top of the leaves may change colour depending on your tank conditions.

Yep the top of the leaves may change colour depending on your tank conditions.

I'd probably try it without, it kind of disrupts the flow of the wood. Without it your eyes will be drawn towards the main hardscape, rather than being distracted by the rock on the right. :)

So here it is without the stone on the right:
web.jpg

I think you could be right people! It looks better :thumbup:

What do we reckon?

I definitely think it looks better without the rock. It kinda looked out of place and disrupted the flow of the branches. Looks great now :D

Hi Andy,

The last hardscape is looking great mate! Personally I think the stone to the right distracted from the main hardscape to the left, have to agree with the others! Well done another quality scape starting to emerge! Mind you didn't expect anything else from you :thumbup:

P.s What's the substrate? Are you sticking to your tried and tested ADA route?

Cheers Ben

andeekaii said:
I definitely think it looks better without the rock. It kinda looked out of place and disrupted the flow of the branches. Looks great now :D
Cheers

B7fec said:
Hi Andy,
The last hardscape is looking great mate! Personally I think the stone to the right distracted from the main hardscape to the left, have to agree with the others! Well done another quality scape starting to emerge! Mind you didn't expect anything else from you :thumbup:
P.s What's the substrate? Are you sticking to your tried and tested ADA route?
Cheers Ben
Cheers Ben :thumbup: We shall have to see how it comes on over time, as i have admitted b4 this is the part i dont like. I cant wait to get it planted!
The substrate is ADA Powersand special and ADA Amazonia. I have had such good result previously i have no reason to move away from it ;)

You said it.......this is always the worst part! get those plants in! :D
Same here with the ADA soil.....I find it's great stuff and does exactly what it says on the tin......er...well bag! ;)

I'm going to be a bit controversial and say I prefer the first :eek: . Don't get me wrong the second is still excellent but I think the first is more original and similar to your personal style I've seen in your previous tanks. The second is more of an Amano-esque island composition (although this is far from an insult :lol:). I'm sure it'll still look stunning and I'll probably eat my words when its planted up. Looks like you've picked some real nice hardscape materials to have fun with. Are you going for moss on those branches or keeping them bare? Lovely stuff, keep up the good work.

NeilW said:
I'm going to be a bit controversial and say I prefer the first :eek: . Don't get me wrong the second is still excellent but I think the first is more original and similar to your personal style I've seen in your previous tanks. The second is more of an Amano-esque island composition (although this is far from an insult :lol:). I'm sure it'll still look stunning and I'll probably eat my words when its planted up. Looks like you've picked some real nice hardscape materials to have fun with. Are you going for moss on those branches or keeping them bare? Lovely stuff, keep up the good work.
Oooo your such a trouble maker! to be honest its all good! Thanks for your comments. The thing is you have hit the nail on the head, you said "The second is more of an Amano-esque island composition" which is ironic as that exactly what i was trying for! ;) Most of my scapes have been very bsuy with hardscape all over the floor of the tank. On this scape i am trying to do something slightly different. Still a NA style but a different layout for me.

As for the branches, yes there will be moss and fissidens :thumbup:

Anyway to show my dedication to my latest scape, i have taken a day off work on wednesday to head to TGM to choose my plants and get them home and planted. Should keep me busy! :thumbup:

andyh said:
"The second is more of an Amano-esque island composition" which is ironic as that exactly what i was trying for! ;)

As I say this is no bad thing, it definitely looks the part :thumbup: It's up there with Amano IMHO.

andyh said:
Most of my scapes have been very bsuy with hardscape all over the floor of the tank.

This is no bad thing either, I'm a big fan of your 'all over' compositions. Hard to pull off, but you've sorted it every time!

Looking forward to the big plant-up.

NeilW said:
andyh said:
"The second is more of an Amano-esque island composition" which is ironic as that exactly what i was trying for! ;)

As I say this is no bad thing, it definitely looks the part :thumbup: It's up there with Amano IMHO.

andyh said:
Most of my scapes have been very bsuy with hardscape all over the floor of the tank.

This is no bad thing either, I'm a big fan of your 'all over' compositions. Hard to pull off, but you've sorted it every time!

Looking forward to the big plant-up.

Neil - thanks for the kind words. Cant wait to get planting, just preparing all the bits now, getting filters sorted and cleaning bits of kit so they look shiny in the new setup. :geek:

andyh said:
So here it is without the stone on the right:
web.jpg

I think you could be right people! It looks better :thumbup:

What do we reckon?

Wahey, your finally getting it going...

Well mate, love the wood, but I know you can do better with the rocks. Your rushing it, take it easy and have a caramel.

Your sacpe is over weighted to the left. The other designs with the stone on the right was heading in the right direction. Balance out the wight of the wood and stones with something on the right and get those rocks looking liking they belong there....
Think about how the wood grows around the rock, or has it been washed down river and lodged there, how would it sit, how would the rocks need to be, to make it look natural? These are what you need to be asking your self mate.

It looks great, but I know you can do even better..... Am i being a pushy founder, lol You know I love ya mate :D x

Back