• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

Well things coming together slowly my tank has been delayed and should be another two weeks according to aquariums ltd.

I took a trip up to The Green Machine and managed to purchase my hardscape, i decided to go for Dragon Stone as i like the texture and will be good for attaching mosses and HC in all the nooks and crannys. I bought a couple of bits of glassware (dazs) which is good value. (The only downer being i broke one myself by being a heavy handed ape!!!!) Can anyone recommend a decent glassware intake that doesn't effect the flow to much :?:

I hope to start my journal properly soon!!! The wait is killing me, i have all the gear apart from the tank!!! :crazy:
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

:clap: :thumbup: excited! my tank will be ready next tuesday!! So i can start scaping!! Not excited at all !! been waiting ages!

Will update my journal once my opti-white tank has arrived, it my first one had normal glass on all previous tanks, i hope its as good as everyone makes out! :geek:
 

Behold

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2008
Messages
219
Location
Basingstoke. Hants
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

I know this might be a bit late but could you not have used the underneath of the cupboard to mount the lighting in to so that the tank has no light on the top and can still be open??? make maintaining it easier as you will not need to remove the luminare each time. Also can the tank not be put on a slidable unit that can be secured to roll it forward for maintaining????
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

Behold said:
I know this might be a bit late but could you not have used the underneath of the cupboard to mount the lighting in to so that the tank has no light on the top and can still be open??? make maintaining it easier as you will not need to remove the luminare each time. Also can the tank not be put on a slidable unit that can be secured to roll it forward for maintaining????

I have explored the idea of mounting under the unit and it does work in terms of the viewing angles, however your idea about having it slide out is ingenous! I may give that a think. Not sure how pratical it will be though and the tank will be bloody heavy! :thumbup:
 

dsandson

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
104
Location
Belfast, NI
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

Maybe look at it the other way around. Attatch the luminaire to the cabinets, and have it swivel out of the way instead of moving the tank. Would only work if you dont have one of the funny decorative strips at the front lip of cabinets.
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

dsandson said:
Maybe look at it the other way around. Attatch the luminaire to the cabinets, and have it swivel out of the way instead of moving the tank. Would only work if you dont have one of the funny decorative strips at the front lip of cabinets.

Thats an excllent idea, why did i not think of that! You wouldnt believe i have a degree in Enegineering! :shh:
 

Behold

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2008
Messages
219
Location
Basingstoke. Hants
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

andyh said:
dsandson said:
Maybe look at it the other way around. Attatch the luminaire to the cabinets, and have it swivel out of the way instead of moving the tank. Would only work if you dont have one of the funny decorative strips at the front lip of cabinets.

Thats an excllent idea, why did i not think of that! You wouldnt believe i have a degree in Enegineering! :shh:

That would work as it would give you the option to change the viewing angle if board.

As to moving the tank yes it will be heavy but on the right surface will move with minimal effort. I would suggest something like a castered plate of some sort. maybe on a ball bearing set or simply on a towel that you can pull it on so it does not scratch the side.
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

Yippppppppeee The tank is here! :clap: :p

The Opti-White tank was definatley worth the wait, Aquariums Ltd (site sponsers) have done me proud! The tanks build quality is stunning. I am also Really happy with the bonded black background which was required due to the tanks location.

I hadn't mentioned that i changed the sizes of the tank to a 24inch x 11 Tall x 13 deep so that it would fit under the unit and still give good volume. With the extra depth i can slide the luminaire back which gives me sufficient access for general maintenance. Which is a real winner.

Before:

IMG_2088.jpg


With the tank and Arcadia Luminaire.
web.jpg


Cant wait to get started!
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

stuworrall said:
nice one andy, cant wait to get mine. hows the silicon on the seams? is it nice and tidy?

Stu, to me it looks very tidy indeed. The whole tank is very impressive.

Although My wife just said "what you so excited about, it looks like a fish tank!" :lol:
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,987
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

andyh said:
stuworrall said:
nice one andy, cant wait to get mine. hows the silicon on the seams? is it nice and tidy?

Stu, to me it looks very tidy indeed. The whole tank is very impressive.

Although My wife just said "what you so excited about, it looks like a fish tank!" :lol:
great news.

wives --> they just dont understand do they! :lol:
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

So i have been busy, its easy when you have been planning for the last 3 months!!!

The hard-scape is ADA dragon stone, with ADA Amazonia and ADA Sarawak sand at the front. I have some graded gravels to add to get rid of the obvious line between the sand and the substrate, but haven't got round to that yet. The plan is to cover the join with gravel and plants. The pics are just quick point and shoots, my tripod was not available.

web.jpg


web.jpg


I wanted to create different levels within the tank and there is a considerable height difference when you get to the back right hand corner. The photos don't quite capture it as well as i would like but the idea can be see that these are partially buried rocks.

Regarding plants, i have a slight plan, i.e i know shapes and sizes and colours but don't know names. Hence why i am off to TGM at the weekend for a look. I really want to get the plants growing in, on amongst the rocks to give a real mature feel.

Anyway be gentle, its my first proper scape! :thumbup:
 

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Joined
7 Sep 2008
Messages
1,987
Location
Flintshire, North Wales
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

that looks really nice andy, have you thought about one of the stones going the other way to oppose the flow? (ignore me if you want a full left to right flow in the tank :) )

Youll want to heavily plant at the join line otherwise the AS will be mixing into the sand especially if you put shrimp in. Other scapes ive seen put small stones (not gravel) all along the line to form a barrier). I do suppose it depends on how heavily you plant and put graded gravel in though as that might plug the leak of AS :D Looks great though!
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

stuworrall said:
that looks really nice andy, have you thought about one of the stones going the other way to oppose the flow? (ignore me if you want a full left to right flow in the tank :) )

Youll want to heavily plant at the join line otherwise the AS will be mixing into the sand especially if you put shrimp in. Other scapes ive seen put small stones (not gravel) all along the line to form a barrier). I do suppose it depends on how heavily you plant and put graded gravel in though as that might plug the leak of AS :D Looks great though!


Yeah i played around with have one stone the other way, but kept coming back to this i like the flow from left to right, its like a fault or vane of rocks (well that's the idea ;) .)

Interesting about using stones to hide the join, although that hole area will be heavily planted, not sure with what yet, but something like HC.

Stu, If you look hard enough, You can just make out the silicone and as you can see its very neat.

Having now taken photos of the tank you can really see the difference in clarity of the Opti-white. :thumbup:
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

another pic, and yes i should of cleaned the glass! :shh:

web.jpg
 

Mark Evans

Expert
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
6,484
Location
newark notts.
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

oh my, you see what i've been missing out on?....

Andy, a great layout. nice to see a different stone used. a tricky stone to put to good use IMVHO and you've done it. Stu worral has a great scape using this.

I'd seriously get a barrier between the sand and substrate....please do it, you'll love your self for doing it in 4 weeks after planting :angelic:

looks like lower growing plants are in order then? :D ......
 

andyh

Member
Thread starter
Joined
1 Jan 2009
Messages
1,921
Location
Derby
Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

aaronnorth said:
good sense of depth, i would add a barrier in the substrate to stop them mixing anyway, it is better incase you decide to change anything in the future.

saintly said:
oh my, you see what i've been missing out on?....

Andy, a great layout. nice to see a different stone used. a tricky stone to put to good use IMVHO and you've done it. Stu worral has a great scape using this.

I'd seriously get a barrier between the sand and substrate....please do it, you'll love your self for doing it in 4 weeks after planting :angelic:

looks like lower growing plants are in order then? :D ......

Ok i take the hint! ;) How and what should i use? How high above the surface should it be?
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mark Keetch Keetchy's 60L tank of joy Journals 24
Aqua sobriquet Lockdown 60L Nano Journals 10

Similar threads

Top