• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

It's a nice change to the usual stuff and looks to be a nice aquascape!

I've used plastic as a barrier before, good excuse to get a takeaway (for the boxes chinese comes in)!

Hi,
Wow, what I've missing in all this months away from this forum...

Again, like others said before, you should use some kind of barrier between those two substrates, or in less of a month they will be mixed. You could use some flat chips of slate or the Dragon Stone you have used to create the layout, tied some kind of moss around it and, that way you will able to avoid the AS to mix the sand.

andyh said:
How and what should i use? How high above the surface should it be?

try this.

IMG_0505-01.jpg

regards to height, that's determined by the depth of your sand.

some people think that adding a barrier will stop all mixing...it doesn't!

it just stops the slow kind of mixing over time. you still need to add either small moss stones or riccia stones to stop the top mixing. shrimp are a royal PITA for this. if for example your going to let HC "crawl" over the dividing line, then fine, but you need to think about the long term look, and decide what you want to over come any future issues.

if you look carefully in amano tanks (you need to search) you'll find he uses stones, riccia, moss. and where he does not use these, things like anubias, ferns etc cover that line.

Guys, thanks for all advice i have put a divider in!

Saintly thanks for the pic, of the lawn trim! I hope you didn't take a trip to your local garden centre just for that! ;)

I used some old plastic condensation trays from former tanks, cut into small strips, it seems to of done the trick, that combined with all the planting i have done all evening its starting to look good! I have HC and moss stones on the edging, its going to hide it pretty well.

I will post some pics over the weekend.

:thumbup:

Very nice tank, i like the dragon stone.
How much has it cost so far?

ScottYalloP said:
Very nice tank, i like the dragon stone.
How much has it cost so far?

I haven't kept a tab, its probably best that i don't know, then when asked i can say i don't know! :lol:

So i have been busy, spent 4hrs last night sorting and planting the tank, spent most of today setting up the filter and C02 kit which is all in and working well. Just the electrics to tidy up now!

here is a couple of pics just to show what i have done, not totally hapy with the plants they need some pruning and shaping especially the staurogyne its really tall.(should be nice and low!) I am leaving the plants to settle for a couple of weeks before going at them.

The hardest thing has been drilling the kitchen worktop, i really had to convince myself that this was a good idea! but it done and looks great! :thumbup:

Also made a slight change to the rocks on the right as per a couple of peoples suggestions

so here it is:
Waters still a little cloudy, filter only been going a few hours
web.jpg

The hole!
web.jpg

:arrow: a quick video:
http://gallery.me.com/hartandy#100468

What bubble rate should i aim for on this? I have no fish and dont plan to for a few weeks. :thumbup:

MadMupps said:
Wow that looks incredible, well done. :thumbup:

Thanks :oops: Give it a couple of weeks and it should fill in a lot more.

I like that. Very tidy. I know what you mean about drilling the Worktop. That had to be the point of no return!!!

Themuleous said:
Thats cool, when I first looked at it I thought 4 or 5 ft long at least, then I saw the DC, thats a great illusion of scale you've achieved there :)

Sam

I have no idea what DC is Themulous :rolleyes: :?:

Behold said:
I like that. Very tidy. I know what you mean about drilling the Worktop. That had to be the point of no return!!!

Was very scared! But looks good! Top tip for anyone is make sure you varnish the hole itself with several coats to prevent water ingress into the worktop.(thanks Dad!)

saintly said:
looka pretty good.

could you elaborate on the planting? is the HC in the front?

Ok (these are tricky to spell!)

Cryptocoryne Parva (my first ever Crypt!)
Hemianthus Calltrichoides "Cuba" HC
Echinodorus Tenellus (instead of harigrass)
Staurogyne sp.
Rotala Rotundifolia
Micranthemum Umbrosum
Hydrocotyle Verticillata

Currently "fishless cycling" just adding ADA Brighty K everyday, with 50% water changes and media in my external from a mature setup.

Things looking great! I have never had a setup that pearls like this before:
web.jpg

Even the Hydrocotyle is pearling.

I have also been tidying all the cables and equipment. Can you spot the equipment hidden below. (yes i have fitted a little led light under there to allow me to see things! :geek:
web.jpg

Loving the Eheim with the built in heater its a excellent bit of kit. :thumbup:

This looks like a lovely tank.

DC = Drop Checker.

Whilst seeing the plants pearl is a good thing, I found that plants pearl straight after planting and do so for a few days. Generally, it's because the plants have had a co2 boost with being out of the water and so will be primed to produce o2 bubbles when initially planted.

Superman said:
This looks like a lovely tank.

DC = Drop Checker.

Whilst seeing the plants pearl is a good thing, I found that plants pearl straight after planting and do so for a few days. Generally, it's because the plants have had a co2 boost with being out of the water and so will be primed to produce o2 bubbles when initially planted.

Ahhhh Superman you have ruined the magic!! :lol: I thought i had finally got it right!

JamesM said:
Looking good mate :)

What's your photoperiod? And are you running all four tubes?

I am running 7hrs per day, (CO2 coming on hour before and going off at the same time as the lights)

Currently unsure whether or not to run 4 tubes, just running 2 at present, any thoughts welcomed.

That's a neat tank with an innovative placement. What kind of sand substrate is in there?

Back