• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

Re: 60L kitchen tank

This is one of the best journals on here, it's great seeing your initial plan develop into that awesome setup....great stuff.

Just started my journal and like yourself I had some great advice from Graeme (and many others on from UKAPS ofcourse). I also bought my tank from Aquariums Ltd and I'm well impressed, the stand I bought is very ADA like aswell.

Keep up the good work mate :thumbup:

Mark

(60cm Iwagumi Journal)
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7750

Well i have finally added the Fish i have added a shoal of Emerald eye Rasboraos and a shoal of boraras maculatus.
Both of which are nice and small, they both shoal excellently at the moment but i am sure that will wear off.

Also bought some Crystal Red shrimps to add to the ones I already had from TDI-LIne (thanks Dan they are doing well).

Will try and get some pics this week and post them up.

Things still going well, no real major problems. I really cant fault the ADA products!

So another 10 days on and here is a few pics. I have added some livestock now as mentioned. I am really happy with my crystal red shrimps. Growth is still great, think i have been getting a little over zealous with the lighting few bits of algae showing. I must stop turning all four tubes on to show people!

The tank 18th September 2009, Shoal of Emerald Eyes.
web.jpg

A closer one, i really like how all the species of plants are growing so well together. In my mind looks natural.
web.jpg

CRS, learn t how to move the focal point on my camera, been playing round with it all night.
web.jpg

Still not added any ferts apart from brighty K.

My only observation is that the HC is not growing as quickly as it was since it was pruned back 10 days ago. :?:
Comments welcomed as always.

Tank looks superb Andy, you must be pleased.

The CRS look like there colouring up well now, i think they prefer smaller planted tanks to bare lagoons.
:D

Hopefully you'll have some tiny babies soon. :thumbup:

TDI-line said:
Tank looks superb Andy, you must be pleased.

The CRS look like there colouring up well now, i think they prefer smaller planted tanks to bare lagoons.
:D

Hopefully you'll have some tiny babies soon. :thumbup:

Yeah your CRS have coloured up well. I have added some of my CRS, which also have already bred so yes i am hoping for more babies! There is plenty of places to hide in this tank, as you can see you hardly see the substrate.

Thanks Again Dan!

Andy

stunning tank dude!
love the way all the plants seem to compliment each other and with possibly the exception of the moss on the left (in my very humble opinion) nothing looks out of place.

aaronnorth said:
A closer one, i really like how all the species of plants are growing so well together. In my mind looks natural.

They are the best tanks :thumbup: :clap:

I agree i think they look very effective indeed! Although some of the single species tanks can look very cool!

baron von bubba said:
stunning tank dude!
love the way all the plants seem to compliment each other and with possibly the exception of the moss on the left (in my very humble opinion) nothing looks out of place.
Funny you should mention the moss, i am considering removing it as it hasnt really grown how i wanted it. (watch this space!)

bogwood said:
Looks very impressive. Just read your journal again.
I know your only using ADA Brighty at present, how much CO2 are you dosing.
Also have you done any pruning/cutting back yet,

Thanks!
Co2 is a approx 1 to 1.5 bubbles a second.

Ref the pruning, i did some a couple of weeks ago, but really only touched the Staurogyne and the HC. At the moment i am letting things grow how they want then i am going to prune them to keep the shapes and profiles i want to achieve.

Hey Just a quick update, i have been toying with a few subtle change to the plants in the tank. As i am learning s I go along.

I have decided that the moss clump (front left just looked wrong and as if it had been plonked there!
web.jpg

So i have removed that piece, i just need the HC to fill the gap now. I instantly thing it looks better as you can see more of the sand now:

web.jpg

The question to you guys is should I remove the rest of the moss along the rock, as i think its blocking the view and doesn't really tie in with the rest of the scape? What do we reckon? :thumbdown: :thumbup:

andyh said:
The question to you guys is should I remove the rest of the moss along the rock, as i think its blocking the view and doesn't really tie in with the rest of the scape? What do we reckon? :thumbdown: :thumbup:

I vote to leave it there but trim it down.

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
andyh said:

Mark
what he said :)

(tank looking great by the way andy)

stuworrall said:

Mark

(tank looking great by the way andy)[/quote]
vauxhallmark said:

Mark

Thanks both for your comments, i will give it a trim then! I want it to grow flatter across the rock. I suspect that the Christmas moss i have isn't really suited to this. I have just ordered some weeping moss for my other tank from a fellow UKAPS chap. I may give that a try?

Do we have any Moss Gurus?

I am practising in my spare tank growing/pruning mosses on wood and have had some success.
web.jpg

Hello

So my tank is 5 weeks old!

I haven't started adding ferts yet but intend to as of tomorrow, had a missed delivery of my ADA Green Brighty STEP 1. So it will be interesting to see what difference that will make. So far i have just added the recommended dose of ADA Brighty K every day. I will start adding the Step 1 in moderate doses and just observe what happens. I am completing two water changes per week, and my CO2 is on 1.5 bps. (air pump running over night)

Here's a couple of pics from this evening. I am really pleased with the tank so far!! :D
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

As always i cant resist a little video; :lol: :geek:
http://gallery.me.com/hartandy#100536

This being my first planted tank is proving very addictive and i am already thinking about my next one!

My Only challenges with my current tank is that i have a little Staghorne algae, whats best to get rid of it? At the moment i am pulling it off with tweezers. Any suggestions :?:

Thanks for looking :wave:

check your Co2 levels.
Maybe turn it up a notch, be careful with this as you dont want to kill the livestock.
Then you just got to keep the levels constant. Staghorn is the result of fluctuating Co2 in the water column.

Beautiful scape by the way.

jay said:
check your Co2 levels.
Maybe turn it up a notch, be careful with this as you dont want to kill the livestock.
Then you just got to keep the levels constant. Staghorn is the result of fluctuating Co2 in the water column.

Beautiful scape by the way.

Thanks, i have been moving my power head around and playing a little with the CO2 bubble rate, to try and optimize the flow and spread of the co2, so that may of caused the problems.

A question to everyone were do you locate your diffusers to maximize the flow around the tank :?:

I will leave it on the timer and stop playing with it. Current bubble rate 1.5 bubbles a second, today my 4dkh solution has arrived so i can now be confident with my drop checkers readings.

Just added my first Ferts ADA Step 1. In a reduced dosage, i plan to slowly increase this to the recommended dose.

andyh said:
stuworrall said:

Mark

(tank looking great by the way andy)
vauxhallmark said:

Mark

Thanks both for your comments, i will give it a trim then! I want it to grow flatter across the rock. I suspect that the Christmas moss i have isn't really suited to this. I have just ordered some weeping moss for my other tank from a fellow UKAPS chap. I may give that a try?

Do we have any Moss Gurus?

I am practising in my spare tank growing/pruning mosses on wood and have had some success.
web.jpg
[/quote]

Dude, my advice, cut back herder than you are already, you want it to look like trimmed bear or stubble. Even thickness and all the same length, or shape. But even thickness is the key. That pics says cut it harder to me, dont be shy with it!!! :thumbup:

thanks graham, i am going back with scissors and its get a no 2 all over!

any advice on location of co2 diffuser and the filter return or power head? to get the best spread of co2?

gutted i cant make the fof this weekend would of liked to be there!

Back