• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's - Dragon Beach

I expect wonders from your kitchen tank! If I may say, the front brown sand and Aquasoil cuts the foreground into exactly half.You should be aiming for a 2:3 look instead of 1:1. The rest of it is marvelous.

Looking good Andy, although I have a feeling you'll be losing a lot of your hardscape again, with the way your plants grow :lol:

Also, have to agree with Flygja, the 50:50 is slightly distracting - though a little over critical :geek:

flygja said:
I expect wonders from your kitchen tank! If I may say, the front brown sand and Aquasoil cuts the foreground into exactly half.You should be aiming for a 2:3 look instead of 1:1. The rest of it is marvelous.

I have sat here waiting for that exact comment! This is because shortly after i had finished the scape and filled with water and got my JD and coke sitting back admiring the tank, that i realised what i had inadvertently done. I had in essence created a central divide on the tank with aquasoil/sand. I did think about tackling it there and then. But the disruption it would cause would be fairly significant. So i decided to leave it be and let the plants hide it/ grown over and move this focus. Fingers crossed it works. If not i will be in there buggering it all up, with more sand! Thanks for being the one who pointed it out ! :lol: :lol: Only joking thanks for you comments!

Jase said:
Looking good Andy, although I have a feeling you'll be losing a lot of your hardscape again, with the way your plants grow :lol:

Also, have to agree with Flygja, the 50:50 is slightly distracting - though a little over critical :geek:
Don't you start aswell!!! :lol: :lol: :shh:
Thanks for you comments and yes the plants will probably grow lots, as i am maintaining the same regime as i do on my other tanks. I am going to try something i learnt a lot about on my my kitchen tank which is i need to do lots more pruning and shaping! o_O Well that's the theory!

So i mentioned that the Blxya was melting, as this is a "Warts & All style journal" here is a picture to show you what its doing. As you can see a lot of the leaves are melting completely away/breaking off. Luckily my Koraila pump is kindly collecting them all for me o_O
web.jpg

This is the first time i have had Glosso as a carpeting plant, and i am stunned by how fast its growing. At this rate the floor will be covered in 2 weeks! Its only been in the tank 4 days :!: Compared to the HC i am used to its mental :D

web.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andyh

That photo of the Blyxa brings back bad memories :( I had loads from John Starkey which just never came round after melting. I seem to think that was pre-CO2 injection though o_O

Never used the stuff, but from what I've seen Glosso is a weed :lol: Like my Marsilea seems to be :D It's great now, but like you say, it'll soon fill in - let the trimming commence :crazy:

:geek: Hope you didn't mind my comments too much. It happened to me too... all that planning only to realise when I'm done that I've split the scape down the middle.

Glosso takes a lot less time to adapt to submerged conditions and will start sending out runners really quick. Comparatively, I've never had luck with HC, despite trying 3 times.

Jase said:
That photo of the Blyxa brings back bad memories :( I had loads from John Starkey which just never came round after melting. I seem to think that was pre-CO2 injection though o_O

Never used the stuff, but from what I've seen Glosso is a weed :lol: Like my Marsilea seems to be :D It's great now, but like you say, it'll soon fill in - let the trimming commence :crazy:

I hope mine recovers, i am throwing the CO2 in so that should help. Yes the Glosso does seem like a weed, suspect i will be forever trimming it. o_O
flygja said:
:geek: Hope you didn't mind my comments too much. It happened to me too... all that planning only to realise when I'm done that I've split the scape down the middle.

Glosso takes a lot less time to adapt to submerged conditions and will start sending out runners really quick. Comparatively, I've never had luck with HC, despite trying 3 times.

I didn't mind the comments at all! Its all part of the learning curve, i spent ages thinking about rock positions, plants perspective, equipment and i then go and accidentally create a central line using the sand and substrate! DOH! :rolleyes: :geek:

HC for me needs loads of light and CO2 to get it to grow well. :thumbup:

Journal Update - Tank 9 Days Old

Quite a few things have happened in the last week.

So here is the reminder the tank on day 1:

web.jpg

Here it is this evening:
web.jpg

Everything is growing really well (the Glosso is growing really quick), although i have one confession. I purchased some Blyxa japonica from Tonser (thanks v much dude!) with the intention of using in another tank, but it was so healthy that i had to use it in this scape. I ripped out all the existing Blxya and replanted with the special Tonser variety! :thumbup: See pic below:
web.jpg

I have also added some livestock this week, i started with Crystal Red Shrimps and Ottos:
web.jpg

Then added my main shoal of fish a few days later which was my Emerald eye Rasbora.

I have also added 3 Chocolate Gourami's, i took a shine to these little chaps after a recent visit to TGM. They are really interesting fish, i only added them today.
web.jpg

Started dosing ADA Step 1, as well as the Brighty K and easy carbo. Plus green gain once per week. Its had 4 water changes in its first 7 days.

web.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Andyh

Love your work Andyh. It is great to see everything growing so quickly. Your Fissidens is going to look hot. Can't wait to see how it goes!

Really nice as always Andy. I like the tension that I see in the hardscape.

Coming on nicely mate.

The split in the substrate, from Aqua Soil to sand stands out a lot at the moment but this will become more subtle as it grows in.

The composition of the wood and rocks looks great. Very different and refreshing compared to the typical NA-style.

Those fish shoal brilliantly too!

Keep up the good work!

i wasn't so sure about this at first :oops: .but in only 9 days wow :D .guess i lack the vision to see how a tank will fill in.
well done mate ;) .

Here is a quick HD video, not my best video but shows the new fish and plants in there glory.

Dragon Beach HD Video

FishBeast said:
Love your work Andyh. It is great to see everything growing so quickly. Your Fissidens is going to look hot. Can't wait to see how it goes!

Thanks Fishbeast! I am a big fan of fissidens. I just hope i can get it growing like it was in my previous scape.

hydrophyte said:
Really nice as always Andy. I like the tension that I see in the hardscape.

Cheers dude!

George Farmer said:
Coming on nicely mate.

The split in the substrate, from Aqua Soil to sand stands out a lot at the moment but this will become more subtle as it grows in.

The composition of the wood and rocks looks great. Very different and refreshing compared to the typical NA-style.

Those fish shoal brilliantly too!

Keep up the good work!

I have to admit I thought i had done something fundamentally wrong o_O I had no comment from you! :( :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your comments, do you think i will get away with the divide, or should i intervene now? I am hoping the glosso carpet and the fact i am letting it grow over into the sand should help hide it.

The Emerald eye Rasbora are the best shoal-ers ever, and i have kept a lot of fish over the years! Check the video above for proof.

nelson said:
i wasn't so sure about this at first :oops: .but in only 9 days wow :D .guess i lack the vision to see how a tank will fill in.
well done mate ;) .

Cheers mate, i am like you sometimes i look at scapes early on and just don't get it.

LondonDragon said:
Tanks is looking better and better, once the glosso fills in that right hand side it will be great, trim the fissidens evenly the it will grow much nicer.

Paulo, thanks the glosso is growing that quick it should be long now! I will give the Fissidens a prune at the weekend :thumbup: Thanks for the advice.

mattyc said:
looks realy nice, you have got some crazy growth!! keep up the good work!!! :D :thumbup:
Thanks Matt! Growth is good!
bogwood said:
Amazing growth rate, you must have the balance just right Andy. :thumbup:
The Choc Gourami contrast nicely with the plants.
Cheers Bogwood! The new Choc Gourami, are well cool. When is your journal going up?

Back