• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 01/03/2013

andyh

Hey guys

Yes its been a while but i am starting a new journal for my new scape.....

I have been busy playing with stones and sand and have got something i am happy with for now :geek: Probably get tweaked a few more times yet.

I am using my ADA 60p, combined with Dragon Stone, Sarawak sand and ADA powersand. (as thats what i found in the garage o_O )

watch this space for more details soon...........

Cheers for looking

Andyh

Re: Andyh's New Journal "Yet to be named"

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Very excited Andy. Should be a great scape, knowing you! :D
Thanks for the vote of confidence Kris :thumbup:
stuworrall said:
Looking forward to your return dude. Mines due a re-scape after I finish the wedding season :) bought some big bits of ryough stone the other week for my 90 :D
Stu.......Dude long time no speak hope all is well? I have had a little break from it all, but i am back to boring people with journal :lol:

So I have taken a little trip to TGM and bought a few plants to get me started, i have a few more arriving from a few UKAPS members in the next few days so i should be in a position to start planting next week. Was really impressed with the visit to TGM today i haven't been in 6 months and the show tanks are looking excellent, really worth the trip. :geek:
cheers
Andyh

pariahrob said:
Give us some hints? What's the plan?

Or are you going to make us wait til you post the photos?

Gonna post some pics once finished planting

Completed first session of planting a little over 1 hr planting one of the plants.

I am keeping this one simple in terms of planting and scaping, i just hope it works! o_O

Hello

So here is my update:

The plan was to create a much more simple scape than my previous attempts, something with less maintenance, but still having visual impact in terms of strong bright greens and beach look.

So here is my equipment and plant list:

Aquarium - ADA 60P Cube Garden 60Wx36Tx30D

Lights – Suspended Arcadia Luminaire 4 x 24w T5, currently running 1 tube for 7hrs per day. 1 x Osram Skywhite 8000k

Filtration and CO2 – Eheim Thermo 2324 (used as a CO2 reactor in conjunction with an Up CO2 Atomizer/2kg bottle on the intake of the filter).
The 2324 has a Seachem Purigen 100ml bag, Carbon and some floss/media in it. CO2 is on 2hrs before lights for a total of 6.5hrs. Currently trying to maintain high level of CO2 (hence yellow drop checker)

Glassware – Cal Aqua 13mm Lily pipes and intakes. Plus Cal Aqua Drop Checker

Substrate – ADA Powersand Special 2ltr, ADA Amazonia Soil & Powder 9ltrs & ADA Sarawak Sand

Ferts – Easy Life Kalium – Potassium, ADA Green Gain to start with
After 2 weeks start dosing Tropica Nutrition

Hardscape - Dragon stone

Plants:

Eleocharis sp.'Mini' Tropica 1-2-Grow 4 pots
Hydrocotyle Sp.Japan (Sourced from UKAPS Member hotweldfire)
Staurogyne Repens, Tropica 1-2-Grow 1 pot
Blyxa japonica (Sourced from UKAPS Member Westyggx)
Eleocharis acicularis x 1
Ammania sp bonsai (Sourced from UKAPS Member Westyggx)

Other:
Plus a variety of plastic pieces from my garage, to create substrate dividers and keep the mound from slipping over time.
Black Photo mount background mounted on the wall behind the tank.

Pictures:
7693709404_370a0948ce_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr
7693706360_466ace7ca0_b.jpg
7693705356_3dd77298fb_b.jpg

Fingers crossed the Blyxa doesn't melt and die, loads of CO2 and light should counter that:
7693710378_1f4dea547e_b.jpg

The plastic divider used to keep the substrate and sand apart, hopefully once the grass grows it will all be hidden.
7693707318_070b0ac7cd_b.jpg

The Tropica 1-2-Grow are really very good there is masses of plant in each pot, especially the Staurogyne (far more than in a normal pot)
7693708370_90e46590f2_b.jpg

The Equipment
7693704300_4242168b0b_b.jpg

Not planning on adding any livestock for a couple of weeks so that the plants get a good hold and then i will add a few.

Anyway thanks for looking

Andyh

Re: Andyh's New Journal "Green Beach" 1st Aug12

is that eleocharis parvula or something new?

Hi Andy,

Good to see a new journal from you, layout looks real nice..... reminds me of your 'Kitchen Tank' scape..... I recently used both Eleocharis sp. mini and Staurogyne 1-2 grow and both took no time at all to settle, so you should see a difference within days with high co2 etc.... defo a journal for me to keep an eye on. Looking forward to seeing it mature.

Ben

darren636 said:
is that eleocharis parvula or something new?
I have two Eleocharis species in there. The short one at the front is Tropica 1-2-Grow Eleocharis Sp Mini. Which is shorter more compact plant than parvula. Its fairly new to tropica and the boys at TGM hadn't used it much yet.
The other eleocharis is at the back and this is Eleocharis acicularis (from TGM Value range) this grows taller.

B7fec said:
Hi Andy,
Good to see a new journal from you, layout looks real nice..... reminds me of your 'Kitchen Tank' scape..... I recently used both Eleocharis sp. mini and Staurogyne 1-2 grow and both took no time at all to settle, so you should see a difference within days with high co2 etc.... defo a journal for me to keep an eye on. Looking forward to seeing it mature.
Ben

Hey Ben, Thanks for your comments and yes the rock work is slightly reminiscent of the old kitchen scape, albeit i think its my fascination with dragon stone :geek:
Good news about the 1-2-Grows, they were very healthy indeed so i hold high hopes for them
You me both on the maturing front, i hate the beginning o_O

Managed to squeeze a a 30% water change today and switched the white/clear plastic substrate dividers mid tank for black ones. I did this as i thought they stood out too much. The one that divides the sand and substrate will be well hidden once the lawn grows in.

Hi Andy, great journal so far, really enjoying the pics too... Its going to be a fantastic scape when grown in a bit :) What is the CO2 bottle you are using? It looks pretty nifty :)

Antipofish said:
Hi Andy, great journal so far, really enjoying the pics too... Its going to be a fantastic scape when grown in a bit :) What is the CO2 bottle you are using? It looks pretty nifty :)
Hello, thanks dude, the CO2 bottle is a 2kg stumpy bottle. You can get from most CO2 suppliers.

Andy

Nice one Andy. :thumbup:

Did you know that you do not need to trim Parvula mini? It's always stays small. So if i go with a low maintenance tank this is the preferred Eleocharis from all :D

Looking forward to see this matured. :angelic:

Westyggx said:
Hi Andy, looking good mate!
Cheers and thanks for the plants, No pressure but the Blxya better perform! :lol:

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Great start as always Andy :D
Cheers Kris

viktorlantos said:
Nice one Andy. :thumbup:
Did you know that you do not need to trim Parvula mini? It's always stays small. So if i go with a low maintenance tank this is the preferred Eleocharis from all :D
Looking forward to see this matured. :angelic:

Hey Viktor

Thanks for the advice about the mini, very useful. I wasn't told that, good to know and ideal for a low maintenance tank.

Cheers

Andyh

Is this hairgrass the same as E.Belem which is sometimes erroneously called E. Japan/japonica?

Scape is really nice, Andy, though I'm not sure on the black, but that's a personal thing.

edmills said:
Looking forward to seeing the mini HG!
Might be having a stupid moment, but whats mini HG?

Garuf said:
Is this hairgrass the same as E.Belem which is sometimes erroneously called E. Japan/japonica?
Scape is really nice, Andy, though I'm not sure on the black, but that's a personal thing.

No idea Garuf, i think this is the one Tom Barr gave to Tropica?

I have a white background too, i may try a couple of pics with it as well. Although the black really makes the greens look so vivid!

andyh said:
Westyggx said:
Hi Andy, looking good mate!Cheers and thanks for the plants, No pressure but the Blxya better perform! :lol:

Hope its still going strong mate!

andyh said:
edmills said:
Looking forward to seeing the mini HG!
Might be having a stupid moment, but whats mini HG?

I'd assume he means Elocharis SP Mini (Mini Hair Grass)

Back