• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 01/03/2013

Re: Andyh's New Journal "Green Beach" 1st Aug12

Westyggx said:
I'd assume he means Elocharis SP Mini (Mini Hair Grass)

Thanks Mike, Suffering with monday morning brain failure..........................

Perhaps a mist background ala wilko and a graded blue might work well? My preference for backgrounds has always been a pale background but my way of thinking is developing and I now consider what the goal of the scape is or was to asses what is created, if the tank for example is a riverbank scape imagined as though looking onto a bank then a dark background I can see being desirable, but if it's a scape where the inspiration has a blue sky as part of the whole illusion then perhaps a black background isn't ideal. This is here nor there though I'm merely spouting thoughts. I have to agree though, the greens really are something!

I think it's E.belem then, if so I got some from ed seeley a long long time ago and a very very robust and pretty version of hairgrass it is indeed.

Garuf said:
Perhaps a mist background ala wilko and a graded blue might work well? My preference for backgrounds has always been a pale background but my way of thinking is developing and I now consider what the goal of the scape is or was to asses what is created, if the tank for example is a riverbank scape imagined as though looking onto a bank then a dark background I can see being desirable, but if it's a scape where the inspiration has a blue sky as part of the whole illusion then perhaps a black background isn't ideal. This is here nor there though I'm merely spouting thoughts. I have to agree though, the greens really are something!

I think it's E.belem then, if so I got some from ed seeley a long long time ago and a very very robust and pretty version of hairgrass it is indeed.

I have the ability to switch backgrounds on this tank with ease, I have it set off the wall by about 10cm. This means i can slide in different backgrounds. When i have some more time, i will try a few different ones. The balck just makes the greens jump out.

As for the plant still not sure, but its lovely :D

edmills said:
:wideyed:

Just a quick update, the tank is doing well and everything looks like its growing well. The only thing thats a little slow is the Staurogyne, but i am sure it will catch up. I have added 5 fish a couple of days ago. (Long fin white cloud minnows) which are doing well.

I noticed yesterday a slight dusting of diatoms, so i added 4 Amano shrimp from my holding tank and completed a 25% wc. This should help.

Photo update to follow in the next few days :shifty:

Cheers

Andyh

stuworrall said:
looking forward to the update, its looking great so far. back in the saddle!
Cheers dude, i happy with it for two reasons
1. The Greens are so vivid
2. Lots less maintenance than my other tanks, less fiddly bits. :geek:

Update

Hello! :D

So the tank is just over two weeks old now, and seems to be going well.

Managed about 5 water changes typical between 30 + 50% in the last two weeks, so thats really helped.

Just started adding Ferts some K and some TPN with water changes.

Here are the pics:

DAY ONE
7693709404_370a0948ce_b.jpg
ADA 60p Green beach by andyh_2011, on Flickr

DAY 15
7798001618_d0107bffc3_b.jpg
Untitled by andyh_2011, on Flickr
As you can see its all started to fill out nicely, the grass is starting to hide the divide between the sand and the substrate and i have managed not to let any transfer across o_O Ignore the floating plants they are just in whilst the tank gets established.

Overhead shot
7798006386_8e3557bbd5_b.jpg

7798002580_beaccf5857_b.jpg
The Blxya is doing well, i have pruned some of the old melted leaves off already, and there is plenty of healthy new growth. The Ammania sp bonsai on the right is doing really well and is becoming one of my favourite plants, i am going to prune it and replant the cuttings to the right of the hairgrass at the back.
7798005542_6bec3dcb4a_b.jpg

7798003612_c83b486794_b.jpg

7798004392_e4353f6df9_b.jpg

Drop Checker
7798007158_148de64e1e_b.jpg
After a bit of tweaking i have dropped the CO2 level down from super high levels to fish friendly levels since adding the livestock. The drop checker is still green even at the very end of the co2/light cycle.

Thanks for looking and sorry it was a little photo heavy

I have got some video footage which i will try i get up later :thumbup:
Andyh

Re: Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 15/08

:text-coolphotos: Wow that looks great and your right the Ammania sp bonsai is beautiful have thought about getting it myself. I'd be happy with half that growth in mine once I get it planted next week, but then again mine is low tech some thinking I'm going to have be very patient :arghh: .

Looking good Andy, one tip dont forget to use a toothbrush to clean the dragon stone. I havent done and there now green as hell and once its on its hard to get it all off!

Westyggx said:
Looking good Andy, one tip dont forget to use a toothbrush to clean the dragon stone. I havent done and there now green as hell and once its on its hard to get it all off!

Hey westy is that something you should do as a general maintenance or only if its getting algaefied ?

C00ki3 said:
:text-coolphotos: Wow that looks great and your right the Ammania sp bonsai is beautiful have thought about getting it myself. I'd be happy with half that growth in mine once I get it planted next week, but then again mine is low tech some thinking I'm going to have be very patient :arghh: .

:thumbup: Yes its really a fantastic plant, not sure how it will fair in a low tech tank but its always worth a go.

Mine is growing really quick and i have already been able to replant the pruned plants and now have about double the stems.

Westyggx said:
Cheers Chap, Now i am torn, as i have in the past got the old tooth brush out and given the rocks a good clean, but i do like the rocks to look a little mature. Its a fine line, i think i will try and keep them from going completely green but a little looks natural. :geek: Its gives the ottos and armano shrimps something to work on.

tim said:
lovely looking tank andy didnt know elocharis acularis grew that tall looks really good
Yes this species can grow very tall if allowed. Its growing really well and looks great swaying in the current, already had to give it a trim.

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Looking great mate :D

Hello,

Had a busy week this week, lots of traveling and childminding duties!

But managed to sneak in some time on the tank and another trip to TGM. Keeping up the water changes averaging 3 per week at the moment, somewhere between 30-50% on average. Also purchased some more livestock, added 4 black Ottos to my existing 6 standard ottos. These are v cool indeed.

I also took a couple of cuttings of the Ammania sp.Bonsai and planted them on the right on the tall hair grass as i felt it needed something to help with the transition of the grass down to the Staurogyne.

Started to experience some diatoms and decided to add another very mature filter to the tank to help fight it. Which has worked really well. Within 2 or days the difference is vast, it makes such a difference and hate diatoms! :twisted:

So i added my Eheim Liberty 2042 Hang on filter (200lph, normally on my 3ft holding tank), which i have decided is a excellent addition to the tank. (and i will be keeping it on plus keeping the 2324 running.)

1. Its simply hangs on and returns via two weirs. (Good Flow)
2. Its silent
3. You lift the lid and and you get access to the media. You can drop in bags of carbon, purigen etc so easily.
4. THE BIG ONE! it simply can be lifted off for photos! :geek: You then just re hang it and turn it back on and off it goes. :geek:

I have included a few pics of it below, Yes it not pretty but it does do the job well!

On a final note, something has finally happened with the Staurogyne its all growing well now. It was very slow to start to the point as was concerned i was doing something wrong but now its throwing out new shoots everywhere.

I hope to add my livestock this week, if i get chance.

Sorry all my pics were taken in a rush with the iPhone:

32 Days Old
7916198430_a58dd659bf_b.jpg
Full tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

7916205212_2bf5e8d5be_b.jpg
Full Tank Shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

7916209970_9ea34649fb_b.jpg
Eheim Liberty 2042 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

7916214874_242f274c32_b.jpg
Eheim Liberty internals by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking as always.. :wave:

Andyh

viktorlantos said:
Nice one Andy. :thumbup:

Did you know that you do not need to trim Parvula mini? It's always stays small. So if i go with a low maintenance tank this is the preferred Eleocharis from all :D

Looking forward to see this matured. :angelic:

Hi Viktor, Do you still trim it down low at the start to make it grow well ? Or plant it as it comes in the pot ? Cheers.

Re: Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 02/09

Looking superb. Your scales are always so clean looking!

Antipofish said:
viktorlantos said:

Did you know that you do not need to trim Parvula mini? It's always stays small. So if i go with a low maintenance tank this is the preferred Eleocharis from all :D

Hi Viktor, Do you still trim it down low at the start to make it grow well ? Or plant it as it comes in the pot ? Cheers.

Pot parvula need trimming frequently. I do not like to trim it at planting but if the leaf are way too big i trim it sometimes. Otherwise only after 2 weeks.

Gel version is a different variant. That's stay. Compact and no need to trim it. Not at planting and in the future too. But you will loose the nice bushy effect which looks nice with potted in a large tank.

Gel is more for low maintenance tank, nanos and up to 60L i guess. In large tanks this may will look too compact

Antipofish said:
viktorlantos said:

Pot parvula need trimming frequently. I do not like to trim it at planting but if the leaf are way too big i trim it sometimes. Otherwise only after 2 weeks.

Gel version is a different variant. That's stay compact and no need to trim it. Not at planting and in the future too. But you will loose the nice bushy effect which looks nice with potted in a large tank.

Gel is more for low maintenance tank, nanos and up to 60L i guess. In large tanks this may will look too compact

Re: Andyh's Journal

viktorlantos said:
Antipofish said:
viktorlantos said:

Gel version is a different variant. That's stay compact and no need to trim it. Not at planting and in the future too. But you will loose the nice bushy effect which looks nice with potted in a large tank.

Mine is growing really well and i have given it slight trim just to keep the shape and remove so old leaves. I just took it out of the pot washed it and planted it. Great stuff especially in a Nano.

Back