• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 01/03/2013

Re: Andyh's Journal "Green Beach" Update 07/09

Andy, congrats on a beautiful tank.

What did you use for dividers, ive brought a piece of twisted root back from south america and im planning to lay 25x15cm of sand infront, im looking to know how to divide the soil substrate from the sand, with a little mixing as possible?

motionless said:
what an awesome layout! cannot believe the development of plants at day 15 that's nuts! The color of Ammania sp bonsai is lush! Any further developments? And where never seen that type of otto before!

Thanks for you comments! Yes lots happened as you can see i haven't updated for a while. I will get the journal updated this week. As for the otto (black Otto) they are around in the trade, just not as common. They are cool and have slightly different behaviour to that of the standard otto.

johnnywales said:
Andy, congrats on a beautiful tank.

What did you use for dividers, ive brought a piece of twisted root back from south america and im planning to lay 25x15cm of sand infront, im looking to know how to divide the soil substrate from the sand, with a little mixing as possible?

Thanks dude!
i used a cut up plastic condensation tray from a fish tank available from all good fish shops :thumbup:

lovely setup looks great i am currently doing a 60-f for my first setup hope looks as good as yours as plants look so healthy i also have same thermo filter are the double tap valves worth getting ?

thanks dean

Deano3 said:
lovely setup looks great i am currently doing a 60-f for my first setup hope looks as good as yours as plants look so healthy i also have same thermo filter are the double tap valves worth getting ?

thanks dean

Cheers Deano, 60-f..........NICE!!

The eheim double taps allow me to drop off the glassware or the filter easily. Its one of those things you buy when you have some spare cash as its more of a luxury but once you have them you realise what you been missing!

Cheers

Andy

thanks if you want to look at my jurnal just started it here http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24411

does the taps on the filter do the job of stopping the water and does it work ok, i see what you mean by the piping will go from filter all way to the lilly pipes so will always be all together so a bit auqward to clean etc.

thanks mate i will be watching your jurnal
Dean

Deano3 said:
thanks if you want to look at my jurnal just started it here http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24411

does the taps on the filter do the job of stopping the water and does it work ok, i see what you mean by the piping will go from filter all way to the lilly pipes so will always be all together so a bit auqward to clean etc.

thanks mate i will be watching your jurnal
Dean

The eheim taps simply mean i can disconnect the glassware without taking the whole hose assembly out of the filter.
Andyh

Hello

So not been on in a while but thought i would do a photo journey of what i have been doing with my tank over the last month

Getting a little over grown:
8265385572_06daeba1c6_b.jpg
Blyxa Madness by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Dirty Water, did a couple of extra water changes and cleaned filter after this to help with ammonia spike:
8264316411_68576c1668_b.jpg
Removing Blyxa by andyh_2011, on Flickr

8264404943_d2ea640b21_b.jpg
Re Planted and cleaned by andyh_2011, on Flickr

8264405355_b7c7b25941_b.jpg
Full tank shot by andyh_2011, on Flickr

The New Plants, Wallichii and Erectus: (this is my 3rd go at P.Erectus, its become my arch enemy as i cant get it to grow well o_O Fingers crossed :thumbup:
8265475652_7517269c42_b.jpg
New Plants Rotala Wallichii & Pogostemon Erectus by andyh_2011, on Flickr

The mini hair grass is really dense now, and has recovered after the digging from the Sterbai:
8265476156_12a1e48540_b.jpg
Hairgrass by andyh_2011, on Flickr

So its not all going well, suffering from a little BBA on the hardscape only, but cleaning it with Easy carbo and toothbrush works well:
8265476628_38614c6c54_b.jpg
Rilli Shrimp & BBA Algae by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Looking great Andy :clap: .

Our visit to TGM today, certainly re motivated us both.
Some good pictures showing the work you have done.
Fingers crossed with new plants.
Tank looks very mature , i think the fine gravel at the front really sets it off.

Nice shrimp picture.

bogwood said:
Looking great Andy :clap: .

Our visit to TGM today, certainly re motivated us both.
Some good pictures showing the work you have done.
Fingers crossed with new plants.
Tank looks very mature , i think the fine gravel at the front really sets it off.

Nice shrimp picture.

Yes its always a motivational trip to TGM........ :thumbup:

hydrophyte said:
Those plants look happy in there!
Cheers Dude, yes the plants grow very well in this setup, good light and CO2 plus water changes = happy plants :D

Deano3 said:
looks great mate
jojouk said:
Very nice...
Cheers Guys! :thumbup:

Quick update,

5 days since i added the new plants and they are both doing well.

The 1-2- Grow Erectus is about an inch tall now, not bad after 5 days.
The Rotala looks awesome, very pink and delicate.

Cant wait for the erectus to catch up, should look nice alongside each other.

Pics taken with Iphone so not the greatest:

8278967604_4ef071d8d6_b.jpg
Rotala Wallichii 5 days on by andyh_2011, on Flickr

8277910409_5ac91c0b2e_b.jpg
New Plants 5 Days on by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Andyh

Ian Holdich said:
Nice rotala Andy! Love this scape mate...

Cheers Ian

Didnt expect to keep it this long, as it was so simple. Thought i would get bored of it.

But i keep tweaking it and the plant health is awesome, just need to get my toothbrush out and clean the rocks and glass :geek:

That's one thing I like about your journals, and I think I have said it before, you often tweak your scapes, and they always look great. The simple ones are often the best one IMO.

Ian Holdich said:
That's one thing I like about your journals, and I think I have said it before, you often tweak your scapes, and they always look great. The simple ones are often the best one IMO.

Cheers Dude

I have never created a scpae i was 100% happy with from first fix. I enjoy watching the scape change as the plants grow, then realising what a horrendous hash i have made and its quickly replanted to improve it. :lol:

In my experience you can dramatically change the look and feel of a scape with different plants and very small tweaks to the hardscape, the best example being George's Project Scree :thumbup: This looked awesome in both formats.

Back