• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andys HC propagator step by step

Brilliant guide thanks for sharing. I have a heated propogator spare but with no tubs so will after buy some. Do you think lileaopsis brasiliensis and eleocharis acicularis would grow well as thats whats in my lowtech and might be quicker to get a carpet by using both ways

Brilliant guide thanks for sharing. I have a heated propogator spare but with no tubs so will after buy some. Do you think lileaopsis brasiliensis and eleocharis acicularis would grow well as thats whats in my lowtech and might be quicker to get a carpet by using both ways
Hairgrass is the easiest plant int he world to grow emersed, just don't forget to water it or it will die off quite fast, I'll post a couple of pictures up later of this years hairgrass and hydrocotyle later.

Hello My name is James new to this forum just want to say great job on your step by step.
I have the same setup as you and it is going well in the forth week now.
Just one question once I have grown how do I transfer to my tank

Will I have to repeat the dsm process in my tank ..

You can just place it in your chosen place giving the area good circulation and CO2 to aid its transition in the submerged environment.

Or you can do a DSM to ensure to plant will root nicely in your substrate and perhaps let it spread along even more if you didn't get enough hc when you were growing it emersed, then fill and do the above.

Michael.

I have the same proportion unit as you
And the tank I have it 30cm cubed with aqua up z series

In the tank after two weeks started to die off and go brown
I still have some in propergator but very slow growth

Any tips or just be patient

My hc grew like a weed in the propagator. It slows down a lot when you put it into a tank full of water and needs as much co2 as you can get into the tank, we were dropping ph by 1.5 from adding co2 ,which is far too much if theres fish. You also need plenty of flow to get the co2 and nutrients to your carpet. Patients is needed too
Are you adding nutrients to the tank ?

Oh really not sure why mine is taking so long
Maybe just have to be patient ot the only other thing I can think of is subtrate
Or maybe have to give up on dsm way and try flooding the tank and see what happens

FYI, HC will grow well out side in a pot just like a typical plant.
The only issue is if it gets below freezing, then you need to take it back inside.
Water it daily if the temps are above 15C. Partial sun works well.

I grow it here in CA, USA where the humidity is often well under 20% during the day all summer long.

Back