• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angelfish tearing lumps out of java fern

Ajm200

Over the past week I've notice Java fern leaves looking ragged with chunks missing from the edges. Now I've found the culprit. An angelfish is biting chunks out of them then spitting out the bits.

Looks like it is just destructive behaviour rather than hunger as it doesn't eat the other plants and it has a varied diet including frozen foods, algae wafers and sheets and a wide variety of quality pellets and flake and there are always at least two types of veg on offer in the tank too.

Anyone else seen similar behaviour from Angelfish? Could it be due to something missing in its diet?

With a plec who eats sword plants, kribensis digging craters in the substrate and uprooting plants and now now this I'm glad I'm still waiting for the wood in the tank to sink and haven't spent ages careful planning/planting.

Are you sure the angel is not trying to clean the leaf, to create a "nest" for laying eggs ?? Sounds a bit "overdoing it", but sometimes angels are really very dedicated and rough, when cleaning leaves for egg-laying.

Maybe it is trying to clean it. It is a juvenile. Not fully grown. Perhaps it needs practice as it is definitely ripping chunks from the leaves.

Back