• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angels and Cardinals

I don't have experience but have read elsewhere that fully grown adult angels may eat sub adult cardinal, but the effect is reduced if the angels are young in the tank with the cardinals and grow with them

Wild caught angels may already have the appetite I supposse

An angel fish will eat everything that swims and that suitable for his mouth. So it's pending on the size of your cardinals

I have seen Angels kept with Cardinals but it can't be good practice as when the Angel grows it will readily take small fish.

My opinion is that Angels are best in a species tank or kept with larger fishes that are not too boisterous.

Harry.

I've had them together, if both are added young, or when the tetra's are adult it will work. (recently fairly young angels diminished a group of young N.mortemthaleri's, a few a i added later when they where adult aren't touched)

One of the earliest lessons I learned in fish keeping was that big angels and small cardinals ... shouldn't be mixed.
Adult cardinals will be fine with angels however.

Angelfish can get as big as a man's hand with finger's out stretched.
Not much of a stretch for one to realize that they would take a small tetra juvie,or adult size.
My own expieriences lead me to place Angelfish with larger bodied tetra's like Bleeding heart,Colombian's.

Currently have both and doing well lost 1 or 2 in the passd 6 months or so :/ but to be expected have seen fully blown angel card tanks look stunning

Hi.
I've had this combination for the past 3 years - no problems. You can see in my journal that in the current setup I have a rather big angelfish and I can tell you that he doesn't even eat shrimps (anymore :)), let alone other fish.
So it definitely can work with angels and tetras - not saying this is the rule, but am saying that it can work.
I think your surest bet is to get young angelfish and introduce the tetras before or at the same time - mature angelfish and new tetra in aquarium will most likely spell genocide.
And of course, feed your fish plenty of fish food :)

I'd better go for Pearl Gourami instead of Angels...I just liked to be able to say that I have Angels and Cardinals:D:lol:

I was going to to get two Bolivian Rams, however my female Pearl has convinced the to get her a friend. They can be quite shy for about a month or so but are quite intelligent. Mind dances for me when I put my face up to the glass, however she completely ignores the girlfriend as she knows I'm the one that feeds her :D

Saw some adults in the pet store and they do get pretty big.

I've kept both angels and cardinals together on numerous occasions with a great deal of success. The angels never touched the tetras.

My adult angels will take the small cardinals but it's not often I loose a few a yr .but wouldn't change it they look so good together..

I used to have my angels for neons and boy do they go on a hunting party, I keep them with rummynoses now. As with most omnivores and carnivorous fish, anything that can fit int their mouths are seen as food.

Angels are awesome fish and in my opinion do best in groups, yes they'll be fine on their own but it is in groups when they shine. Although people often say that the average commercial Angels won't like each other's presence I find that once they establish a rank and order thing will turn out great. People will say that they take a space in the tank each and call it their own but I don't see that happening, mine always swim together. The only time I see aggression is breeding time.

Went off topic but I love Angels :happy:

I didnt read all the replies, but from my own experiance placing juvenile angels in a tank already with an established population of cardinals is probably one of the better ways of introducing them. I never had any predation that I was aware of even when they grew into adults. I assume it is down to association and growing up not viewing them as food. I would not consider adding cardinals to a tank of established mature angelfish though.

Back