• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angels eating all my plants!

Franks

I've a high-tech planted 155Ltr tank with neons and angels and I've recently re-scaped.

I've noticed my Angel fish are growing up and also eating my SR leaves, pulling up the dwarf hair grass and also eating the leaves on my stargrass. There's around 3-4 types of plants they enjoy to eat and obviously the plants leaves decay and are then prone to algae.

I'm seriously considering re-homing these Angels as other than feeding them a whole lot more - I'm not sure I can do anything else. Has anyone any bright ideas? they get fed morning and night which is less than ideal as I really only like to feed once a day.

Thanks

Try feeding some fozen or live food, these have more hard to digest exoskeletons which will take longer to digest. Also just feed more, their waste will be ferts, and you will de doing waterchanges anyway.

I've since upped my feeding regime and they've stopped eating the plants. They now have 2 large feeds per day from my hand. After 2 minutes, they start to look at the food and not eat it. This is the clue they are literally full!

Seems obvious now. They are also putting on huge growth. I don't want to give them away so glad they can co-exist with the plants.

When you keep plants with Angels, you have to choose tough texture plants. Even though angels don’t normally eat plants and don’t dig, they are powerful enough to push plants around and do damage on delicate species.. A breeding pair of angel can be destructive in nest building. Anubias, Java fern and sword are tough cichlid resistant plants. Hair grass, most carpet and stem plants are on the soft side and you are taking a chance. Be ready to replace with something tougher if it doesn’t work out.

Back