• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another allotment ID

mort

Hi, me again sorry. Found these being given away but not really any idea what they are. My first thought was artichoke family, as they are similar to Jerusalem artichokes but I'm not sure if the darker colour normally comes from maturity and these have been harvested early or whether this is another species. The growth point has withered so they could have finished their growth cycle.
Wondering if they are something i might like to grow or whether i should put them back for someone else to make use of. Any ideas appreciated

20190917_143928.jpg
20190917_143908.jpg
20190917_143857.jpg

Hi all,
we know them as topinamboer, they are just slightly different
OK, same as the German spirit. They are an american sun-flower (Helianthus tubersosus) really. They have bred varieties (like in your image) that have less knobbly tubers, and are easy to peel.

Ours are about 4m high and have flowered this year, the summer isn't always warm enough here for them to flower (the plant itself is really hardy).

The tubers have a sweet, smoky taste. I quite like them raw, roasted or as soup (you don't need to peel them, just liquidize the soup), but they have some <"unfortunate effects on your digestion">.

cheers Darrel

I've got some growing already this year for the first time. They went in pretty late and are only about 2.5 m but some have flower buds. My allotment neighbour thinks i'm mad because it took him years to get rid of all his. I'll probably save a few of these and see how they differ, if they do, to the ones I've already got.

Not tasted them yet but heard they have a slightly nutty taste and are lower in carbs than spuds. Adds to the variety of home grown stuff as well even if it has slight side effects

Back