• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another couple of id's please

mort

Does anyone know what these are please? I brought them home from the allotment where we put extra plants we don't want under the tree as free to a good home. These have been there about six weeks and no one has claimed them so I thought I'd give them a try.
The first did have reddy leaves to begin with but I think its pot bound and showing a deficiency. Thought maybe in the cabbage family.

The second is a mystery. It had a really faded label that I think says african blue but that could have been from a basil that was left there. Not really any idea but it has shiny fleshy leaves a bit like a laurel crossed with a bay.

They are both in 9cm pots for scale.

Thanks in advance

20190708_183054.jpg
20190708_182923.jpg
20190708_183012.jpg
20190708_183009(0).jpg

First one look like the blue/purple form of Datura: Datura stramonium var. tatula.
If it is the one, be aware that it is quite poisenous.......

Thanks guys. I think the first is definitely an aubergine as the flower has opened today and looks the same. I think it's overdue a feed and I'll put it in the greenhouse.
The second I'll see if it does anything later in the summer that might aid an id.

Container-grown eggplant needs almost constant feeding, though you must look out for excessive salt buildup, which can cause the plants to stop growing. Every two weeks or so, drench the containers with clean water to leach out accumulated salts. Fish or kelp based organic fertilizers leave behind fewer salts than most synthetic products.

Likely why my container eggplants failed to thrive

Hi all, It might be <"Sarcococca">.

cheers Darrel

I've got a sweet box in my back garden so will compare the two later but think it might be a very similar but different species. I'm sorry it's so hard to Id young, fairly nondescript plants from very bad photos.

Back