• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

another HC Cuba question

curefan

ok...I have a nice HC Cuba carpet for the past 7 months and it is totally filled out and quite thick with no problems. Whats the problem, I hear u ask........well over the past few days the whole carpet is lifting, kinda like when you peel back the lid off a can of beans or something!!!!!
When initially planted I left some of the rock wool around the roots to help it root. I keep trying to push it back into the aquasoil substrate but keeps on lifting again :twisted:
Really annoying and begining to think should I get rid of the cuba (also have hairgrass which is rooted fine). It just wont stay down and is lifting like a mat would...all in one piece.

Anyone have this problem before or have suggestions (dont really want to cut it up and plant individual parts again)

Cheers, Dave.

my guess is it's too thick. plants are boyant and a big thick carpet of HC, pearling wont be an exception. either thin it or more likely, re plant and thin regularly.

remember HC is a light rooter unlike grass etc. rockwool wont aid, but it also wont harm. The rockwool method just helps with the planting, nothing else.

HC cuba responds very well to pruning, so do not be afraid to cut it right back occasionaly.
When my HC reaches about 1.5cm thick I prune it low enough to see the substrate in places, this allows new runners to root in the substrate, ensuring it remains anchored down.

Cheers
James

If you dont fancy thining it out, use some of the green coated wire and peg it down, B&Q usually sell it - cut about 3" of the roll, form a letter "u", turn the "u" upside down into an "n" and push through plant / gravel and that should hold it in place until it roots again - you can even leave the wire in, no harm done.

Regards
Paul.

Back