• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Hydor Heater Failure...

Claire

I've read some threads about people's Hydor external heaters failing soon after they got them. Thought I dodged the bullet of the dodgy line as I've had mine a few years and had no issues. However I went away for a long weekend there - came back yesterday to find that the heater had jammed on and had my tank water at 42oC. Everything dead including 2 rare plecos that I paid a bomb for. Even a lot of the plants are badly melted from the heat. Was actual disgusting like. Came in the front door and could immediately smell it - the water was like milk from all the cooking bodies. Sickened me.
Anyways, what I'm really wondering is if anyone got anything out of Hydor through their heaters failing? I have just written to them using the form on their website but don't know if I'll get any sort of compensation. I'm not really interested in a replacement heater from them as unsurprisingly, I seem to have lost all confidence in their product… Kinda tempted to take the hydor external off the nano tank now too.

I even took a picture as it's something I hope to never see again. This was after I drained the tank and took out the dead fish, so it may have even been a degree or 2 warmer before I started.

20140617_135754_zps3ge8iovz.jpg

That's interesting Andy. They're still being sold though so they're obviously not that concerned! I have a couple of cheap spare heaters that I can use to take them off the tanks. I would have understood if it had been a £10 chinese heater that had gone awol - then it would only have been myself to blame - but when you spend near £50 on a heater you expect it to be better.

Don't really know what to do now with the tank. I'd had an itching to go marine previously (eek), but this has knocked my
confidence a bit. Might end up with just a jack dempsy or something lol. Or goldfish! Don't need a heater for them :p

Sorry to hear that Claire :(

I'd always recommend getting an STC-1000 regardless of what heater you use. Great little bit of kit and for the sake of £10-£15 would prevent things like this from happening.

Last edited:
That sucks
I got lucky in that mine failed to heat.
After several months they sent a replacement.
The impression i got was that they moved manufacturers and that faults started occurring,to a previously excellent product.
Apparently the fault has now been resolved,though i can neither confirm or deny this.

Sorry to hear that Claire :(
I'd always recommend getting an STC-1000 regardless of what heater you use. Great little bit of kit and for the sake of £10-£15 would prevent things like this from happening.
previous temp controllers I've seen have been quite expensive. 8 quid from China I think I'll be buying one. Just need to figure out were the hell I'm going to put it.

Have a 400watt and 300watt HYDOR THEO heaters that have been running for five years.
When I bought them the ad said.."lifetime warranty".I notice they don't offer this warranty any longer.

Can this not happen with any heater? It once happened to me about 20years ago. Came back from a nightclub to find 3 floating piranhas. Managed to resuscitate 2 but one died. Not what I'd planned on doing at 4am. Sorry you lost your fish. Thinking of taking of my inline now....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That sucks
I got lucky in that mine failed to heat.
After several months they sent a replacement.
The impression i got was that they moved manufacturers and that faults started occurring,to a previously excellent product.
Apparently the fault has now been resolved,though i can neither confirm or deny this.

I got mine about 4-5 years ago so thought I'd avoided all this carry on. The other one I have is slightly newer, so don't know what to think now :/ Meh.

I'd seen those controllers before and thought that since I was using an expensive heater that I wouldn't need one! Going to order 5 now for all the tanks… Sheesh.

Holding it in cooler water and moving it about while wearing killer shoes and wearing clothes your mother doesn't approve of.

:lol:

Back