• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another lighting question for a new tank.

I have bought myself another tank. A 55l cube tank. (40 x 40 x 40) which I want to do a high tech set up. I’ll plan everything from the hard scrape to the lighting and which plants and fish I want in there. im looking for recommendations on lighting. I want a light That clips on the back something like the Lominie asta 20 or similar. Budget is about £80 - £100.

I have bought myself another tank. A 55l cube tank. (40 x 40 x 40) which I want to do a high tech set up. I’ll plan everything from the hard scrape to the lighting and which plants and fish I want in there. im looking for recommendations on lighting. I want a light That clips on the back something like the Lominie asta 20 or similar. Budget is about £80 - £100.
Fluval Nano is prob. the best choice given the parameters..
Would prefer recommending something a bit stronger but should be fairly adequate though "high tech" is a bit of a stretch if one means blasting PAR.
AI Prime freshwater would do it but over budget..
20 vs 50Watts.

There are asst. "adaptable" lights that can be used . Most will favor a cool spectrum when set and use like 1/2 their output but still usable.
Example:
Amazon product ASIN B07X826Z86
Thing is beyond power what are your needs/wants? Will determine types, availability. and price.

I don’t really know much about what’s needed. I want to create a tank that when people see it the have to stop and admire. I don’t want a led strip that clips onto the side of the tank. Everything is in planning stage so getting ideas is where I’m at at the moment.

hmm I would work out first what you will have in your tank, which plants you will have, what fish, how the hardscape will look then you want to choose the right light, reason been you can create a tank that people will stop and admire even with cheap very basic light, the hardscape is what most look at and not what light you have. Most importantly you need to like it ;)

Yeah, I agree with FishKeeper55. I would first concentrate on learning how to keep the plants alive. There is a LOT to learn about CO2. You would be well advised to start with low wattage lights, otherwise there is a strong likelihood that people will stop, look at the tank and shake their heads in dismay.

Cheers,

Yeah, I agree with FishKeeper55. I would first concentrate on learning how to keep the plants alive. There is a LOT to learn about CO2. You would be well advised to start with low wattage lights, otherwise there is a strong likelihood that people will stop, look at the tank and shake their heads in dismay.

Cheers,]
I’ve got a 250l low tech planted tank which is working well and everything including the hairgrass is growing so my attention is now onto something a little more challenging I am planning the hardscape at the moment and then will see what plants I can add and then obviously the light but up till now I’ve just used what lights come with the tank so buying a dedicated tank light is new to me.
479A2800-E42F-4BF3-A605-9BA43911FB2F.jpeg

I’ve got a 250l low tech planted tank which is working well and everything including the hairgrass is growing so my attention is now onto something a little more challenging I am planning the hardscape at the moment and then will see what plants I can add and then obviously the light but up till now I’ve just used what lights come with the tank so buying a dedicated tank light is new to me.
Hi,
That's fine, however, running a CO2 tank is fraught with problems that low tech hobbyists never have to consider.
Again, if this is your first foray into high tech then we suggest that you forget about buying a new tank light and simply use the light that you have. High tech has not much to do with high light. High tech is defined as high CO2, so that is where the focus should be when taking the next step. CO2 application is not as simple as turning on a switch or opening a valve. Measurement, application, timing, flow & distribution all require careful attention, not to mention the fact that CO2 is highly toxic to the fish. One mistake, or a period of inattentiveness can easily annihilate the fish. It's also not well publicized that CO2 application typically results in more CO2 related algae - because many are so excited about getting new lights they fail to remember the other side of the equation.

Cheers,

Thanks I really appreciate the heads up. That's the kind of knowledge I need to learn about. I know you can have some really fantastic low tech set ups that look amazing and obviously if I can achieve that then great. That's why I haven't rushed into it and am taking my time to plan the tank. I've got an idea on what I want to achieve and even if it's fishless for a long time till I can get the whole thing running smoothly then so be it.

Back