• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another newbie has a go: Dartmoor tor-inspired (maybe!)

5f93406f-7ab9-27f8.jpg

So this is how the tank is looking this evening. I had problems with my CO2 a few weeks ago (the canisters seemed to be discharging immediately, leaving me with an expensively empty cylinder). Rather lazily, I didn't work out what the problem was, and decided to go CO2 free for a while. As a result, the plants are all looking a lot healthier - no brown diatoms, or green dust algae to scrub off every week. I know this means that I just hadn't got all the light/fert/CO2 levels sorted, but I do feel happier with the way things are going now.
In retrospect, I think I should have planted the Pogostemon at the back, and the hairgrass at the front, but I can do that at the next re-scaping!
5f93406f-7bf9-af05.jpg

And here are my lovely new inhabitants, all lurking in the undergrowth (thank you Hotweldfire). They seem to have settled in fine, and have added an extra dimension to the tank.
I know that the filter guard is somewhat prominent, but it is doing a fine job of keeping my shrimp safe, and provides some additional filtration (thanks Darrel for that). Again, I can design the next scape around that....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ntsj0b

Hi sarah Love what you've done with that wood . Congratulations on a beautiful tank. I can't help but to notice your mentioning of a re-scape,...is that coming in soon? Wish you all the best on this journey. :D

Looks great and really does remind me of dartmoor. I shall add mine up soon.

wazuck said:
Loving that tank. It's nice to see there's another scaper from Devon. I love maidenhead in teignmouth ;)
Hey, we're virtually neighbours - I'm just the other side of Bovey! And yes, MA in Teignmouth is the shop I use most. See you there! :lol:

faizal said:
Hi sarah Love what you've done with that wood . Congratulations on a beautiful tank. I can't help but to notice your mentioning of a re-scape,...is that coming in soon? Wish you all the best on this journey. :D
adamhawk said:
Looks great and really does remind me of dartmoor. I shall add mine up soon.
Thanks both. :D
I'm not quite sure when I'll rescape; I certainly need to rethink some plant placements, and I collected some rocks from a local(ish) beach (photo to follow) which I think will work really well in a small tank.

spyder said:
That little twig sets it all off and provides a great sense of scale. Something I struggle to do myself. Well done :thumbup:

Plants and shrimp are looking good. The rock haul looks good too, I need to get out and about rock hunting myself. :D
Alastair said:
Looking really nice Sarah, love those stones you've picked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - it's great to get feedback, esp. when it's nice like yours :D . I do like the little twig, but it's a bugger to work with. I've already snapped loads of bits off it :oops: I'll replace/add to it at some point. It is great to be able to get stones locally, and I've always liked these ones. I need to check that they're going to be OK in a tank first <gets out the vinegar...>

pariahrob said:
Looking great Sarah. HAHA! You call me quick off the mark? Look at you already with new scaping gear!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

RR

Rob, I'm not in your league when it comes to setting up new scapes. I only mentioned re-scaping, and you're already on your third! :lol: Before I do take this one down, I want to have a go at growing hc (seems the thing to do, and I got some today); if I'm successful, I'll incorporate into the new one.

But I have to admit, I have set up this little scape at work; it's only about 7 litres, so the most it'll have is some shrimps and maybe some ramshorn snails. Only been set up a week, but I do like it.

431g.jpg

awtong said:
That little 7l looks fab.

Is it tricky to work in with the top smaller than the bottom footprint.

Andy
Alastair said:
Phwoar I doooo like that little 7 litre, where did you get that!!!!! Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks :D It belongs to my friend, who I share an office with. As soon as I saw it (empty) I couldn't help but think what it might look like planted up. :lol: I suspect it's going to be a right pain in the a**e for maintenance. All of the plants are attached to the wood, so I'm hoping that I'll just be able to pull it out, siphon out the mulm etc. then just pop it back again! I can hope, anyhow. :rolleyes:
faizal said:
You got those :wideyed: ,...for free?Just lying around on the beach,.... :shifty: Man,...I love the beaches in your area :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm very lucky - it's from near Start Point; this beach:

scaled.php?server=824&filename=img1202fu.jpg

Anyhow, I'm going to see how I get on with trying to grow hc, minus CO2. Planted this today, bit cack-handed, and had to use some slate chips to stop them floating away. I hope I'll be able to remove them once (if?) it's properly rooted.

scaled.php?server=543&filename=20120701nanohemianthusc.jpg

Back