• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another newcomer

Molder

Seedling
Hello all,

I have been watching this forum for a while and read a lot of stuff about Aquascaping the last year or so. I have come into contact with aquariums via tropical plants, which I have been collecting for years. In particular plants from the Araceae family. Long story short: there are also Araceae which grow submersed.

Read into aquariums and started out. Shrimp, CPD's, Nerite snails, Otto's and Endless.
Now I started my first aquascape, highly inspired by the video from Green Aqua featuring Daichi Araki and one from Takayuki Fukada.
Went for a Dennerle Scapers tank 55l, however I still regret a bit not going for a 60P tank. Anyway, got the Scapers tank setup now and it's cycling. Will post pictures later!

I'm using the Dennerle Trocal Led for now, as I was curious how it would perform. Pretty decent light, but thinking of upgrading to a Twinstar 450E, not sure. Would like your opinion.

Equipment:
Dennerle Scapers Tank 55l
Dennerle Trocal Led Light 40
Modified Oase Filtosmart 100 with Lily Pipes and internal heater (sponge coarse-medium-fine, sachem matrix, Eheim substrate pro, seachem purigen)
CO2 system on timer with in-tank diffuser
ADA Amazonio Soil (powder)
ADA Colorado sand
Dark Seiryu stones
Spiderwood

Plants:
3 pots of Hygrophila pinnatifida and 2 cups of in vitro
5 pots of Eleocharis vivipara
2 in vitro cups of Hydrocotyle tripartita
2 in vitro cups of Christmas mos
5 pots of Anubias Mini
1 pot of Bucephalandra Theia Red
1 pot of Bucephalandra Lamandau Mini
1 pot of Cryptocoryne balansae
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow Leaf'
Microsorum pteropus 'Mini'

I really wanted to add some Nerite snails, probably 4 or something if possible?
But now comes the question. What other stock? I have 5 Otto's which I can put there, but I'm not sure.
Same goes for cherry shrimp, I have plenty left since they breed like rabbits but don't know if I should put them there because of that reason or if I should put in Amano shrimp for algae or both? And how many?
As for center fish I would like Boraras Brigittae, but I am not sure how many? Don't want to overstock and cause my own algae problems, but I still want to create a beautiful red 'school'?
At least I'm not adding my CPD's, they are way to shy for their beauty, sadly.

So, information and questions here.

Hope you can help me out and will try to read your posts in other parts of this forum!

Best regards,
Bram

Hi all,
Welcome. I'm an <"Aroid fan as well">.
In particular plants from the Araceae family. Long story short: there are also Araceae which grow submersed.
Have a look at (inactive) member @hydrophyte <"threads">, he tried a lot of different Aroids, some submerged and some partially emersed.
now and it's cycling....ADA Amazonio Soil....
3 pots of Hygrophila pinnatifida and 2 cups of in vitro
5 pots of Eleocharis vivipara
You'll need to keep changing water for a while.

I'd add a floating plant for the moment, I like <"Amazon Frogbit"> (Limnobium laevigatum). It will help stabilise the tank. I keep them in, but a lot of members will remove them when they've done their job.

I like a reasonably long growing in period before I add any livestock, but my tanks all have <"snails and Asellus"> "janitors" which tend to hitch-hike in a bit earlier, and help with tank maintenance.

cheers Darrel

Hi and welcome :D

Hope you can help me out

I found having a Journal very helpful, so enter all your tank details pics in your Journal thread and then if any issues just edit the title - then thread will contain all your tank details already which is very useful to all. Plus always good to follow others journals too ;)

Back