• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another plant ID thread I'm afraid

hotweldfire

These were kindly donated by a fellow member who happens to have the finest low-tech nano I've seen. Unfortunately he didn't have the latin names. Here's the lot together:

147111.jpg

Then #1

147114.jpg

157113.jpg

1477112.jpg

157111.jpg

147113.jpg

157112.jpg

Any advice much appreciated

#1 is Hemianthus spec. "Amano Pearl Grass". You can recognize it by only having two opposite leaves rather than whorls of leaves, as H. micranthemoides has.

#2 is Didiplis diandra.

#3 I have a suspicion but I'll keep my mouth shut. Let someone else chip in here.

--Stephan

wearsbunnyslippers said:
not sure if the pics came up in a different order, but i would say #2 is hm and #3 is didiplis..

OK, on the first picture, the plant to the far left is Hemianthus spec., the middle one is Didiplis diandra and the third one is probably (aaargh - I hate doing this) Rotala spec. "Nanjenshan" but I really would need a better picture to be 100% positive.

Cheers

--Stephan

To me the far right plant on the first picture could look an awful lot like Egeria densa aka water pest. The other 2 i wont comment on atm.

I don't think #1 is Rotala nanjenshan. It should have thinner leaves. It looks like low-tech grown Rotala rotundifolia sp. Green to me.

flygja said:
I don't think #1 is Rotala nanjenshan. It should have thinner leaves. It looks like low-tech grown Rotala rotundifolia sp. Green to me.

If it was, it wouldn't have whorls of 6 leaves. Especially if it was grown low-tech. This one has.
It's not Egeria densa either. Egeria leves are sheathed and much wider and internodes are much shorter.
I know it doesn't look exactly like the Nanjenshan I have kept but in a low-tech tank - who knows. It is still my best guess.

--Stephan

clonitza said:
1. Micranthemum micranthemoides
2. Didiplis diandra
3. Egeria densa

Mike

Argh. This is like roman physicians trying to cure a patient.

ad.1: I have already ID'd this plant. If you think it is not this species, could you give your reasons why? It would give me the opportunity to learn where I am wrong! Secondly, do you mean Hemianthus micranthemoides? I explained my reasons for IDing this as Hemianthus spec. "Amano Pearl Grass":

Stephan said:
#1 is Hemianthus spec. "Amano Pearl Grass". You can recognize it by only having two opposite leaves rather than whorls of leaves, as H. micranthemoides has.

But I realize I confused everyone by calling it #1. I meant the first (far left) plant in the first image (where they are all on the plate side by side) - sorry.

ad.3: Same here. Could you explain to me where I am going wrong?

Stephan said:
It's not Egeria densa either. Egeria leves are sheathed and much wider and internodes are much shorter.

Cheers

--Stephan

#1 I'll check it in my aquarium again when I get back from work, but as far as I remember my plant also have 2 leaves / node and it was tagged Micranthemum micranthemoides by Aquafleur (as far as I remember Hemianthus micranthemoides is a synonym) when I picked it form my LFS.

#3 I might be wrong but I doubt it, I never look at the distance between the nodes when I identify a plant, if the plant doesn't have the optimal conditions it grows like that. Not many plants have semi-translucent leaves so it resembles me more like egeria (elodea) than other.

Cheers,
Mike

LE: http://www.flowgrow.de/pflanzen/Hemiant ... s-414.html your guess.

Thanks all. I suspect the #1 is an egeria. Partly because of the translucent leaves but also because of the melt. It's the only one of the three falling apart and it's doing it fast and in the same way the egeria I had in this tank did. I don't think it likes excel. Happy to be proved wrong Stephan.

Just to add to the confusion: is it unanimous on the didiplis diandra then? I have some in the tank and it don't look that much like this. Probably because mine is dying :rolleyes: but the leaves are flatter and not as spiky.

I've done a bit of digging. As a matter of fact Hemianthus glomeratus seems to be the proper (new) name for Hemianthus micranthemoides

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... Hemianthus

I still doubt that that is what we have here, so

@hotweldfire can you check how many leaves your Plant#2 has? if it has three to four leaves per whorl, it is H. glomeratus. If it is two leaves, it is most likely what has been described as "Amano Pearl Grass". I was able to get hold of a specimen of this plant in the botanic gardens in Göttingen a few weeks ago but have not got round to growing it submerged.

Here's an in-depth discussion about both plants. (You have to scroll down a bit to get to the interesting bit).

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... ratus.html

Keep us posted on how these three grow in your tank, I'm really curious to see how they develop!

My Hemianthus has 2 leaves/node but they have different shape that the ones shown in the picture from flowgrow.de.

Mike

LE: Searched trough my archive to see if the one I had 1 year ago was the same and it was:
ivy2bp.jpg

hotweldfire's:

157111.jpg

and below the flowgrow.de picture to see the differences:

url.php

Any more recent pictures? Are they growing in your tank now? I remain skeptical as to the Egeria - just for the sake of a good old banter, though :)

--Stephan

Back