• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another tank cycling question . . . kind of . . .

Ok guys, i have a urgent question, my plants arived early for a new tank but my lily pipes got stuck with courier. So i wanted to plant a tank and let circulation pumps rum untill i can run my filter, tank is not cycled and u will have filter running in 2 days. Can or should i plant and flood a tank and let it run on just pumps?

It's probably worth you starting a new thread, as you'll likely get more answers, but if it's only two days until you add the filter, I'm sure you'll be fine. Many people run plant only tanks without a filter anyway. Also, depending on how far your plants have travelled to get to you, they should be fine stored in a cool dark place for two days if you wanted to wait for the filter to be up and running, but personally I would just plant now and add the filter in two days.

Ok guys, i have a urgent question, my plants arived early for a new tank but my lily pipes got stuck with courier. So i wanted to plant a tank and let circulation pumps rum untill i can run my filter, tank is not cycled and u will have filter running in 2 days. Can or should i plant and flood a tank and let it run on just pumps?

Depends on how strong the current is.The lily pipe's job is to reduce current while also looking good. Beware as buceps, some other more sensitive plants can melt from ammonia.Of course best thing when starting out is to have more easy stem plants then slowly replace with other types of plants.

Then on Christmas day/Boxing Day we can have some father and son time draining the tank to the substrate and planting his new plants, adding the light and glass ware, before re-filling, setting up the CO2 and allowing them to grow in for a week or two.

Hi @Wookii

When you get a spare moment from the Christmas festivities, I'd be very interested in an update on your son's tank.

BTW, Happy Christmas!

JPC

Hi @Wookii

When you get a spare moment from the Christmas festivities, I'd be very interested in an update on your son's tank.

BTW, Happy Christmas!

JPC

Hey, Happy Christmas to you too!

Well by means of an update the tank completed cycling about a week ago - well in so much as nitrites and ammonia were measuring zero. I’ve not added any external ammonia at any point, on the basis that the soil is presumably still leaching small amounts.

Christmas Day was very busy - I spent the morning setting up my elder sons electric drum kit, and after Christmas dinner setting up the my younger sons tank with the new heater, light and glass wear before draining it and planting a load of plants. I finally finished setting up the CO2 and cleaning the glass at about 11pm last night! So Boxing Day is now my relaxing day, drinking and eating as much as I can! Have a good one! Cheers, Gareth

PS - I plan to post a journal thread in due course when I get a spare moment to type it up, so I’ll link to it here.

Back