• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias and algae

Maximumbob

I've been doing well recently as far as the whole planted tank thing is coming along. My plants grow well, and I have a few (but no major) problems with algae. But then again... who doesn't.

Whats bugging me at the minute is my anubia. They are growing really well, but after a few weeks the leaves get covered in green spot algae.

Does anyone have any tips for combatting this?

My tap water has 5-10ppm of phosphate and my lighting period is 8 hours. I suspect my CO2 (DIY) may be having an effect, but everything else is growing so well! With the drop checker my levels are undulating between light green at lights on and dark green at lights off.

are they in direct light? i have always tried to shade mine as they also get spot algae on older leaves if out in the open so to speak.

Any oto in there? They keep my wide leafed plants very clean and tidy.

Sounds like you need to dose phosphate believe it or not :?

I hate it when you get it on ferns as well, at the rate mine grow (slow) its never welcome, but Anubias are a classic plant for getting GSA IME. Extra phosphate is the cure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but could it possibly be low iron? anubias should be dark green right? light green would suggest lack of iron for photosynthesis and give algae a head start growing on their leaves.

Back