Anubias baby plantlets

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by sciencefiction, 17 May 2019.

1. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

Have you ever had anubias producing baby plants?

I have a tub in which I put anubias stalks that were nearly eaten down to bits by my fish in my pond. I think that was more than 1.5 years ago, probably 2. Then the tub's surface got overgrown by some bacopa australis and ludwiga which I left go out of proportion which were left floating overtaking the surface, so I did not pay much attention to the underwater plants.

Upon examining the situation a few weeks ago I noticed that apart from the anubias completely recovering, I have many tiny anubias plantlets which don't even have a rizhome yet. The anubias species in there are the large anubias specie which look just like nana but are much much larger reaching 2 feet in height. I've forgotten the species.

2. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

Lights are off now but I'll take pics of the baby plants tomorrow. I secured some with stones by the roots in a glass pot to hopefully give them a head start. I siphoned out many of them until it dawned at me I had never seen this before.

3. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

Here's a pic. I wonder how they came about so small....

Baby anubias.jpg

Aqua sobriquet likes this.
  4. Mick.Dk

Mick.Dk Member

Anubias 'nana' is just a variation of Anubias barteri (= Anubias barteri var. nana) and so is Anubias barteri var. 'petite' and several others. Your plant is probably such a variation - or maybe just the original Anubias barteri. They can sometimes grow quite big.

5. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

I only own two types of anubias. The large variety which I now recall is Anubias barteri var. barteri . It grows really large. I also own anubias var. nana so some may have found its way in here too.

The only strange part I find is that those are tiny anubias plantlets that have somehow appeared. I've owned anubias for years and I've propagated from cutting a rhizome but haven't seen anything as small appearing as a separate plant like that. There are several tiny ones like that. I wonder how they came about, that's all....It does not have a rhizome by the way.

6. sciencefiction

sciencefiction Member

There it is for scale next to the other anubias,

Baby Anubias 3.jpg