• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias baby plantlets

Have you ever had anubias producing baby plants?

I have a tub in which I put anubias stalks that were nearly eaten down to bits by my fish in my pond. I think that was more than 1.5 years ago, probably 2. Then the tub's surface got overgrown by some bacopa australis and ludwiga which I left go out of proportion which were left floating overtaking the surface, so I did not pay much attention to the underwater plants.

Upon examining the situation a few weeks ago I noticed that apart from the anubias completely recovering, I have many tiny anubias plantlets which don't even have a rizhome yet. The anubias species in there are the large anubias specie which look just like nana but are much much larger reaching 2 feet in height. I've forgotten the species.

Here's a pic. I wonder how they came about so small....

Baby anubias.jpg

The anubias species in there are the large anubias specie which look just like nana but are much much larger reaching 2 feet in height.
Anubias 'nana' is just a variation of Anubias barteri (= Anubias barteri var. nana) and so is Anubias barteri var. 'petite' and several others. Your plant is probably such a variation - or maybe just the original Anubias barteri. They can sometimes grow quite big.

I only own two types of anubias. The large variety which I now recall is Anubias barteri var. barteri . It grows really large. I also own anubias var. nana so some may have found its way in here too.

The only strange part I find is that those are tiny anubias plantlets that have somehow appeared. I've owned anubias for years and I've propagated from cutting a rhizome but haven't seen anything as small appearing as a separate plant like that. There are several tiny ones like that. I wonder how they came about, that's all....It does not have a rhizome by the way.

Back