• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias barteri...good news and bad news?

You sod! I can get my anubias to throw up leaves like there's no tomorrow, but I've never yet managed to get them to flower!

Difficult to tell from the picture, but almost looks like diatoms - is it a new tank?

Cory Sterbai in the foreground?

You sod! I can get my anubias to throw up leaves like there's no tomorrow, but I've never yet managed to get them to flower!

Difficult to tell from the picture, but almost looks like diatoms - is it a new tank?

Cory Sterbai in the foreground?

Ooops, LOL!!

Yes, fairly new. About 4 weeks.

Cory pepperamis....................or is that a pizza????

Almost certainly diatoms then. Don't worry, then will vanish in time, and are entirely harmless.

If you want something that will eat the diatoms, and also (in my and many other members' opinion) is an essential inclusion for any planted tank, get some otocinclus in there. They eat algae and diatoms, and are incredibly good clean up crew.

Points to note:

- They come in both brown and black. Some people are of the view that the blacks are slightly more hardy, but I'm not aware of any evidence to support that.
- Get 4 or more
- They're delicate to changes in parameters - if you get some, check that they don't look bloated and the gills are ok, and very gradually acclimatise them to the tank over several hours - I know some fish you can acclimatise fairly rapidly, but these don't often take kindly to it.
- They're docile, you don't need to worry about plants or other fish.

Hi, diatoms can be rubbed off anubias leaves before water change, they are prone to algae due to slow growth and will appreciate some shade from other plants, not a big fan of adding ottos for diatoms due to them being sensitive and hard to feed when the algae has gone :) just my opinion of course, they are wonderful little catfish in their own right. Nice flower by the way. Diatoms is common in new setups as lancsrick stated.

Hi, diatoms can be rubbed off anubias leaves before water change, they are prone to algae due to slow growth and will appreciate some shade from other plants, not a big fan of adding ottos for diatoms due to them being sensitive and hard to feed when the algae has gone :) just my opinion of course, they are wonderful little catfish in their own right. Nice flower by the way. Diatoms is common in new setups as lancsrick stated.

Thank you!

No probs, just looking again how is the anubias anchored, they shouldn't have their rhizome burried due to the fact it'll rot I have found they'll do ok with their roots pushed in the substrate but are better tied to rocks or wood with fishing line. Liking your photography btw something I struggle with, is it a hobby for you or a profession ?

Good spot Tim, missed that entirely. Your other option would be a piece of plant weight around either the rhizome or the roots.

Reactions: tim
Thanks Tim.
I put it in as shallow as I could. At the time I wasn't too sure about tying it to anything.
I'm afraid the camera is just a hobby, I'm nowhere near good enough to earn a living from it!
I have a few pics here Flickr: threequartersky's Photostream
Good enough IMO mate, birds, churches, and insects, just brought back memories for me growing up in the sticks should have stayed ther instead of moving to the big smoke :) nice photos mate.

Good enough IMO mate, birds, churches, and insects, just brought back memories for me growing up in the sticks should have stayed ther instead of moving to the big smoke :) nice photos mate.

Yeah.......ain't I bloody sad!!!
No, I couldn't survive in a city, it would freak me out. Especially nowadays.
Thanks for that. Digital has made it soooo much easier to learn.

Sorry to be a "party stopper" guys...........but the flowers of Anubias are allready prepared, when you buy the plant. They don't really flower under water ( no pollinaters awailable ), but often finish what they started,when grown above water in the nursery. Sometimes they can actually wait a really long time, to bring forward these "sleeping flowers". But it's still a nice picture :thumbup: .
Mick.

Sorry to be a "party stopper" guys...........but the flowers of Anubias are allready prepared, when you buy the plant. They don't really flower under water ( no pollinaters awailable ), but often finish what they started,when grown above water in the nursery. Sometimes they can actually wait a really long time, to bring forward these "sleeping flowers". But it's still a nice picture :thumbup: .
Mick.
Mick I don't doubt your plant knowledge as I guess you work for tropica and know your plants , but how have I had the same anubias flower 3 years in a row ?? First plant I bought makes flowers yearly? Yet if you asked for a pic it would probably hide away :)

Back