• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias barteri var nana 'Pangolino'

This cultivar seems to be somewhat variating in size.....likely partly determined by environment ( like A. 'petite' actually can, too ). Leaves are allways clearly more elongated and pointed, though.

As Mick says it's a cultivar.. :) So it's only to be found propagated by human selection in greenhouses. Actualy it's i kind of cloned genetic deformity, a mutation from a larger version of the regular Barteri. If you grow them long enough you will find some larger and some smaller version from the same plant. It's original gene is still available in the plant and if for what ever reason can become dominant again in a new runner and it grows bigger.

The same as with the Cryptocoryne walkeri hobbit. Which is still relatively new on the market.. Lately i bought a few pots and a few littel tiny plants from these pots grew as big is the regular walkeri. And some others didn't grow at all in 8 months time. So if i would like to cultivate the hobbit version on, to get this dwarf gene dominant i have to focus propagating the ones not willing to grow that large..

So you could say, with all these new arriving cultivars the younger/newer the variation is the more chances you have it also can revert to its original parents growform while growing older. The older the cultivated generations get the more consistent/dominant the new grow form becommes.

Last edited:
Back