• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias barteri

johnny70

I have one of these, well pretty sure it is!

BroadLeafPlant-20071003027.jpg

I bought it at the LFS about 2 months ago, it was in a large 3" pot and cost £9.99, when I got it home, i took it out the rock wool and it bascially broke into 2! so i have 2 in different tank.

Now its getting big again, how should i split it? cut the rhizome? if so where? how will the new piece get on, will it also grow nice and big? or will it stay just the one or two stems?

Cheers
JOHNNY

Hi Johnny, Just cut the Rhizome making sure at least 2 leaves remain on each section. if the original plant is big enough you may get more than 2 plants out of it. each section will regrow into a new plant, be it very slowly.

use a sharp knife for best results, do not crush the Rhizome.

Excellent, thats what I was hoping you would say :D

Any idea on the variety?

Cheers
JOHNNY

my anubais has grown 3 flowers, all below the surface. does it reproduce underwater or does it need to be out of the water.
I have no idea how these reproduce.

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
my anubais has grown 3 flowers, all below the surface. does it reproduce underwater or does it need to be out of the water.
I have no idea how these reproduce.

JOHNNY

The flowers will only produce viable seeds above the water. One theory is that they produce underwater flowers so that when the water levels change the flowers are already there to be pollinated. I just think they try to flower regardless of the water!

I've sliced my Anubias nana 'Petite' just like Jim suggested and after just two weeks in my new tank they are sending out shoots like mad. I sliced the growing tip off with an inch and a half section of rhizome and the half left has produced shoots from every leaf axil!

Back