• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Gracilis

I bought two pots of this lovely anubias for my new build, but I've heard on the grapevine that long term, it dies underwater.

Does anyone have any more information/experience of this plant. Tropica sell it as an "Easy" plant so I would hope that would not be the case - not exactly setting new aquascapers up for success! However, I'd like to know for sure, because if so, I'll remove and replace.

Cheers

Hiya @LondonAquascaper
I was sure I'd added this sp of anubias to one of my tanks some time ago, but haven't seen it for about 12 months due to said tank being so overgrown. Anways I had a rummage in the bottom of the tank and low and behold I found it. This plant has been completely devoid of light and flow for some time and clearly isn't in the best of shapes, having said that it hasn't melted so hope that gives you some crumb of comfort.

Now rescued and wedged in between some wood.
20221024_170024.jpg

20221024_171152.jpg

Cheers.

I had it in my low tech for about ten years and it did ok. It certainly didn't attain the size they are reported to but it didn't die either. It's in my brothers tank now and it still grows slower than anubias barteri.
I hadn't heard that arrow leaf anubias are supposed to struggle underwater, so found it interesting and I was considering trying so new species. It would be good to hear other people's experience.

Thanks both!
I've actually taken the bold decision to plant this in full (but not high) light - and I've planted it (not the rhizom) in the substrate. Its a BEAUTIFUL plant and it fits really well with the setup I've built so fingers xsd it does well long term. Your experiences give me faith. Luckily, too, the plants I received were already huge, so even if its a slow grower, that is fine.

Hope you don’t mind me saying that I’ve tried planting Anubia (Nana I think) in the substrate and even though the rhizome was fully clear it still rotted 😔

Hope you don’t mind me saying that I’ve tried planting Anubia (Nana I think) in the substrate and even though the rhizome was fully clear it still rotted 😔
At around 3:33 in this video, there is an anubias carpet! I doubt the anubias being planted was the problem

Back