• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias heterophylla

Swordplay

I have just added an Anubias heterophylla to my heavily planted aquarium.
When the plant was delivered I noticed it had brown patches on the leaves.
Today I have noticed these have become bigger and it almost looks like it is going through some kind of melt similar to what Crypts seem to do.
Is this normal as having never had an Anubias before I don't know what it's meant to look like.

image.jpg
This is an example of one of the leaves.

Hi Swordplay, Anubias should not be planted in the substrate the rhizome will rot. Attach the plant on some DW or rock ;)

And the plant was most probably grown emersed and the old leaves are dying off. The new leaves will adapt to submerged growth its better in a shaded spot as the plant is a slow grower and gets algae on the leaves with too much light.

Hi Swordplay, Anubias should not be planted in the substrate the rhizome will rot.

One day I'm gonna put this to the test.

You can plant them in the substrate (sorry Roy) but, on the basis that the rhizome may rot, you should ensure this sits on the substrate. I have a lot of Anubias like this and they seem to grow better than those on wood/rock.

Thank you both that's very helpful.
I have only had the plant in the tank for two days so hopefully when I re-position it the rhizome should still be intact.
Hopefully the cover from my Echinodorus will give it enough shade to stop it becoming too algaed up.
I think I will try tieing it to a small piece of rock to weigh it down and rest the Rhizome on the substrate to see what happens.

One day I'm gonna put this to the test.

You can plant them in the substrate (sorry Roy) but, on the basis that the rhizome may rot, you should ensure this sits on the substrate. I have a lot of Anubias like this and they seem to grow better than those on wood/rock.
Many times ive planted anubias in the substrate with success. Its only the rhizome that NEEDS to be above substrate

I must agree with the above comments. Anubias does better planted in the substrate but the rhizome must be above. Pull the plant a bit and make sure the roots are still in the substrate.
The brown spots resemble potassium deficiency to me so you may want to try to explore that angle. The damaged leaves will not recover unfortunately.

It's possible that the melt is because of the plant being grown emersed but the melt doesn't look like that when that happens. The entire leaves become soft as if you put them in boiling water. It happened to me once with a newly purchased anubias. The rhizome melted too unfortunately.

I do think anubias looks better above substrate though as the root formations are interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey sk3lly, the rhizome will still grow above the substrate. The roots at the base of the rhizome will always be visible but the plant will send their ends into the substrate. No one will lose on aesthetics but if the plant grows as it should you'll hardly be paying attention to how the root formation looks :)
Here is a picture of my small tank. This was grown from just one anubias plant. It outcompeted my fast growing plants!! and took over my 7G tank. Right now there's anubias everywhere, reaching the surface.
Anubias3_zpsrzwia4ww.jpg

Thanks Sciencefiction.The plant was delivered with marks already on the leaves.I was hoping this would just be a temporary condition.
Hopefully using my EI ferts it will encourage new growth and I will be abke to trim of the damaged leaves.
Btw great pic of your Anubias looks great, is it the same type or something different.

Anubias now attached to rock with roots going into the sand and Rhizome sitting above the substrate, hopefully this well help.

Thanks for all the advice, was all very helpful.
image.jpg

This anubias is one of few that I feel would be much happier out of water. Mine throws out new leaves at just the right pace to keep up with the old leaf death which is seemingly unavoidable for some reason for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Anubias in the end just got worse and leaves just rotted so have unfortunately had to bin it and put it down to experience.

If you want a "safe" Anubias.....you should choose one of the many varieties of Anubias barteri ( nana and petite are just two examples). These are by far the most tolerant of long term underwater culture.

Back