• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias issues

MissATV

Hi all,

Please may I ask your advice again. I have an anubias barteri (which has been growing well for the past year)starting to show some signs of ilness. I found two of its leaves half melted or rotted, when I took them off I realized the issue was from the rhizome and it looked like it starts to rot? Can I do anything to stop it or it will kill my whole plant?

The aquarium is a 70l with hard water, temp is set at 25°C and I use Easylife profito once a week. My tap water has quite high nitrates. Any input is appreciated, I really want to prevent it from dieing as it' such a robust beautiful plant.

Attachments

• 20210227_132618.jpg
    20210227_132618.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 547
  • 20210227_132633.jpg
    20210227_132633.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 277
  • 20210227_132643.jpg
    20210227_132643.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 235
1614439332561.png

All In One (AIO) that contains everything a plant needs but not Nitrates or Phosphates :rolleyes::banghead:
So its not a AIO and doesn't contain everything a plant needs, If you have a reasonable fish load then you will probably be fine, if not just buy TNC complete which is an AIO which contains everything a plant needs and at this present time is the best value for money AIO in the UK that I am aware of, in the states it would be Thrive

View attachment 163826

All In One (AIO) that contains everything a plant needs but not Nitrates or Phosphates :rolleyes::banghead:
So its not a AIO and doesn't contain everything a plant needs, If you have a reasonable fish load then you will probably be fine, if not just buy TNC complete which is an AIO which contains everything a plant needs and at this present time is the best value for money AIO in the UK that I am aware of, in the states it would be Thrive
I have these at hand as well, didnt use them since Profito was meant to have it all🙄 and my nitrates are reading always high (dark red on API kit) if thats accurate. Should I try any of them?

Attachments

• 20210227_173025.jpg
    20210227_173025.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 193
I would use a sharp blade to cut through the rhizome, removing all of the rotting part, and a little of the apparently healthy part (to be sure of getting all of the rot). Then keep an eye on the cut end for any sign of further rotting, cutting more away later if necessary.

I would use a sharp blade to cut through the rhizome, removing all of the rotting part, and a little of the apparently healthy part (to be sure of getting all of the rot). Then keep an eye on the cut end for any sign of further rotting, cutting more away later if necessary.
Okay, I'll shave the brown bits off, is removing apparently healthy leaves very detrimental? I can see it's very close to some leaves that look slighly pale but alive which I maybe need to take off with this

Thank you very much
Really appreciate it.

I would rather lose a couple of healthy leaves than risk leaving a bit of rotting tissue behind. Any remaining rot can spread through the whole rhizome and kill the plant. If you save the plant, it will grow new leaves. Quite slowly, being Anubias, but it's just a setback, not a disaster. :)

Thanks all I have shaved as much as I could of the rot. It was actually really mushy, very easy to cut through and 1 leaf detached itself when I touched it although Friday it was firm so this rot is spreading quite quickly. Hopefully it will live, I was very proud of this plants health!

Attachments

• 20210228_122013.jpg
    20210228_122013.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 173
  • 20210228_122656.jpg
    20210228_122656.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
Thanks all I have shaved as much as I could of the rot. It was actually really mushy, very easy to cut through and 1 leaf detached itself when I touched it although Friday it was firm so this rot is spreading quite quickly. Hopefully it will live, I was very proud of this plants health!
I've heard of Anubias rot, apparently it is spontaneous and no one knows why it happens. Sometimes it just does in perfectly balanced aquaria with the only cure to cut off the infected bit and hope for the best

I've heard of Anubias rot, apparently it is spontaneous and no one knows why it happens. Sometimes it just does in perfectly balanced aquaria with the only cure to cut off the infected bit and hope for the best

Not counting water quality issues Nematode infection can be a major culprit, the rhizome provides a huge home for them to hide out for a while an increase their numbers.

:)

Not counting water quality issues Nematode infection can be a major culprit, the rhizome provides a huge home for them to hide out for a while an increase their numbers.

aren't nematodes beneficial? In bonsai, we like to introduce them as they eat larvae of more harmful bugs

Yeah but that’s the right kind, the wrong kind is devastating.

49374968-0B19-473F-AF8E-58C2D68D6DA9.jpeg

C103C691-DF05-4236-BE5A-3F75D8714CEA.jpeg

There was no hope for the above, none of it survived the heat bath treatment required to sterilise the nematodes in the plants internal tissues. The mushiness you see is emergent growth tissue damage, you can see a nematode in the first pic. The leaves on the left hand side were emergent and had water flowing over them, you can see foliar destruction due to the nematodes.

I think my plant is unfortunately beyond salvation. After I removed in the first instance the rotting part, a week later the part near the cut was rotting again.

I have removed yesterday another chunk, this time I went about 2cm into healthy tissue and it's 24hrs later and can see fuzz and rotting happening already ☹

Attachments

• 20210307_150632.jpg
    20210307_150632.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 439
  • 20210308_112515.jpg
    20210308_112515.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
Hi
I would remove the Anubias as you say its not salvageable.....once this rot gets hold its usually the best option!
hoggie

I would also say it’s gone and not salvageable in situ. Get it out and protect your Buce in case this tissue is diseased or under parasitic attack and possibly have the potential to spread to other Epiphytes. If this issue was due to water conditions or nutrition lack off or excess then the Buce would be telling you first as they make a good ‘Canary in the Coalmine’.

Hi MissATV
Best cut your losses!
I had to remove about 5 pots worth of Anubias petite a few months back...... the same issue!
These pots were new editions compared to the established AP which was attached to Dragon Stone.
I won't be purchasing any more Anubias sp......because of this underlying problem :grumpy:
hoggie

Hi MissATV
Best cut your losses!
I had to remove about 5 pots worth of Anubias petite a few months back...... the same issue!
These pots were new editions compared to the established AP which was attached to Dragon Stone.
I won't be purchasing any more Anubias sp......because of this underlying problem :grumpy:
hoggie

I guess that is what I need to do. Feeling quite bad about taking a green plant throwing it away and I am so baffled how this happened suddenly when she was growing so well in the last few months. However I have some gold leaf anubias which seems to be doing good so I won't risk its health by exposing it for longer.

Now I am afraid that any day all my plants can suddenly die if the hardiest and biggest plant died so quickly 😒

I had anubias rotting before long time ago but they were new purchases and I always thought it must be something they carried from the supplier. Now I know it can happen without new introductions

I would also say it’s gone and not salvageable in situ. Get it out and protect your Buce in case this tissue is diseased or under parasitic attack and possibly have the potential to spread to other Epiphytes. If this issue was due to water conditions or nutrition lack off or excess then the Buce would be telling you first as they make a good ‘Canary in the Coalmine’.

Ah yeah the Buce is right next to it as well as other anubias so definitely don't want to risk that. Actually the Buce will be happy to see some light since its been in complete shade for the past 6 months due to the growth explosion of the Anubias 😆

Attachments

• 20210308_193008.jpg
    20210308_193008.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 168
  • 20210308_193017.jpg
    20210308_193017.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 184
What’s the plan for the future? Should I be buying exclusively Anubis from ukaps/breakdown tanks/members?

I’d planned on buying a lot of this stuff this year, maybe I should start buying up any, and all.

Back