• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Leaves Green Spot Algae

cheekycharly

Hi guys my tank is looking tip top but I suffer like many from GSA on my Anubias tied to my Redmoor.
ubyve2am.jpg

It also effects slightly my slow growing Java Fern.

What is the best way to combat this? Some sources say that dosing Flourish Phosphorus slowly removes the GSA.

Any hints would be a great help!

Cheers [WINKING FACE]

Hey charly, GSA is caused by a PO4 deficiency, which is why flourish phosphorus will help eliminate it but it wont solve it over night... its quite a slow process so getting some dry salts of PO4 would be a good investment if you dont have some already. If you wish to kill it off the anubias quickly i always find that direct dosing liquid carbon will make it die/drop off. In the photos a lot of the algae looks very dark to be just GSA, i'd suggest that some of it may also be BBA spores which LC will also deal with. If you dont normally use LC be sure to ask some questions before using it especially if its a low tech tank.
You will still need to deal with the cause of it what ever path you choose.
:thumbup:

I have a bottle of flourish and easy carbo so I will try again at pipette applying carbon to the submersed leaves. I have in the past had small tufts off BBA appear but I removed it via the same above method. It may have left spores or have fresh ones waiting though. Where's best to buy dry PO4 salts and is there any others you recommend? Thanks

Potentially yes, but that might be no bad thing since otherwise hey will breed like crazy and take over your tank!

EDIT: As coincidence would have it, I have green spot algae on my anubias too - I presume it's not BBA spores since they've been like that for a LONG time without coming to anything more. Presuming it is PO4 deficiency, I can address that since at present I make my own ferts in line with James' recipes (#3).

Could anyone advise please on the recommended increments to increase PO4 dosing by, and the signs to look for when overdosing? I'm trying to keep my tank as low tech as possible, just lightly dosing all-in-one each week, which has meant my water changes are minimal (25% every month or two). I'd like to keep it this was so I'm trying to use the bare minimum of additives...

Back