• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias melt !

swackett

Hi,

I bought three large Tropica Anubias from Pets at Home just before Christmas in readiness for a new 125L tank which was to replace the 70L tank about a week later. I put the three pots in my existing 70L tank, which already had Anubias growing in it without any trouble for the last year or more. A week later I went to the clean the tank and found that two of the plants rhizomes had completely rotted away - Literally nothing left, just the wool in the pot, the other pot had a bit left that I could salvage.

I rushed out and bought two new pots from my local Maidenhead Aquatics, so I could setup the new tank and put the salvaged bit from the Tropica pot in our 240L tank.

Whilst cleaning the 240L tank today, I noticed that some of the well established Anubias had started to rot.

The dosing and cleaning routine has not changed so am wondering why this is now happening. The salvaged bit seems to be okay, the rhizome is still mostly brown, but this is hard and not rotting, and the growing end is a nice green colour.

Could it be the bit from the Tropica pot has "infected" the water somehow and thus effecting the other Anubias?

The Anubias in 125L tank seem to be doing okay, "touch wood" !

Does anyone have idea as to why this would start to happen?

Cheers

How were they planted in the tank?
Even partially burying the rhizome, either leaving it in the rockwool in the pot, or pushing it into the gravel/substrate will eventually rot it, with a demise of the entire plant from there!
They either need to be attached to rock - say slate, which can then be sat on the substrate, or attached to wood/rocks as part of the hardscape either by winding cotton round the rhizome or superglueing them on.

Hi,

All Anubias are attached to wood as they will rot if buried into the substrate. They have been growing fine in the tank for a year or more.

It's just odd that all of a sudden they started to rot.

Any ideas anyone?

There is a bacteria that effects Anubias - Casuing it to rot and melt from the oldest end. Its seems a few people have had this problem recently. It could be the water at this time of year, maybe theres a bacteria present in the winter months.

But my understanding is the plant is affected. Cut the Rhizome as far up the plant as you dare to try and stop the rot traveling to far up.

Cheers.

Thanks fro the reply Graeme.

Yeah its maybe something like that. Nothing else has changed in the setup, apart from the water that gets replaced each week.

It's a bit annoying as previously healthy Anubias have been effected, they have been in the tank at least a year if not two years.

So I guess I have to live with it and try and remove as much of the effected rhizome as possible.

I have just had exactly the same problem as you, mature anubius rotting from one end. The first thing I noticed was floating leaves every other day, the leaf and 85% of the stem was perfect but the bottom where it had come away was soft. When doing the weekly water change a good look at the rhizome showed it was soft and a white powder was all that was left. :(
As Graeme says it almost suggests a bacteria in the water because like you nothing else has changed. I took the liberty of binning the worst and cutting the lesser damaged rhizomes back beyond the damage and so far so good :D
If you are looking to replace the worst ones I got six from AA at the weekend and they are mega. Really big and no rot!!!!!
Regards Colin.

Well I also cut back the rotted rhizome as far as I could, so hopefully it should be okay now. Have to keep an eye on them.

Had same issue when I immersed my tank dry started. Most anubias (petite) rotted. Hopefully, mayn survived and some had only a partial rotting of rhizome and leaves. They now all grew back healthy

Sometimes it needs some weeks for anubia to adapt on immersion. It will rot, hopefully, many will be saved.

This doesn't answer your issue with old anubia rotting, unless there was a change in CO2/macro, or the bacteria theory

Ive had the same problem and basically threw out the rotting anubias.

But to my delight last week the roots that I didnt pull out started growing and now I have healthy growth from a small Rhizone.

It was packed together with my Amazon and I thought it was part of it.

So I guess in future if you slash away at your anubias, you can plonk it somewhere and in a few months it will grow its own roots etc :)

Happened to me again. 2 pots of petite and one of nana rotted within 2 weeks.
One petite and one nana doing good. Plants where bought from where they been kept emerged for a while.
Anyone else got anything to say about this?

Hi POF,
Melting and rotting is cause by poor CO2/too much light/poor flow/distribution. Always...

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg. But i do not think it is due to that. I mean anubias would do well in any lighting and CO2.
Must be something other. Wheather bacterial or transition from emersed?
The same problem, ryzome rots, then leaves just fall apart.
It is also a client aquarium. I am sure lights co2 ferts are all ok.

I can't believe people in the UK have this problem too!
First I thought it was only me, and in USA area have this issue, due to my belief it is caused by an unknown plant disease..... and only those area have little talk about the anubias dying......

IME, I have three Anubias petite(might be bonsai) for 2 years no problem.
The problem start since I bought 2 pre-tied bogwood with Anubias nana and mosses, they basically rot in one week, leaves falling every day, I took them out, dissect them, bad smell rhizome, mushy, they breakdown to white powder like material, and again very bery bad smellllllll.....

One of my early Anubias petite has die, they soften, very unusual soft..... it died, the other two I manged to rescued has no problem, new leaf had grown out, but they are kinda soft in the beginning....anyway

Weeks later, I thought the problem has gone...... then I bought a bunch more petite, stardust, golden, and lots of other varieties from Hong Kong, extremely expensive I have to say!! BUT AGAIN....they die basically start with signs like:leaf soak with water, melt, just melted away, fallen leaf, brown rhizome, mushy rhizome, and DIE.....

I hate to say it but why is it only anubias had this disease?

I also have a thread in APC forum, compiling people had this issue......
Anubias SP. Disease Problems: Root Rot, Melting Leaf, Soft Rhizome & Loosen Stem.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... t-rot.html

check this out:
Anubias plants rotting: facts, rumours and guessworks
http://anubias-engl.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... mours.html

The died off petioles.
5007.jpg

193.jpg

Spots on a section of rhizome.
5077.jpg

123.jpg

I maintain it is some kind of bacterial or fungal blight........ From were or why, who knows. Could be over breeding of the same plant, nursery techniques.

Skilled terrestrial plant growers have problems with diseases and blights despite providing everything the plant requires, so its not far off the path to assume aquatic plants are capable of such problems...

Blaming C02, light, flow all the time is not always right....

I agree with Graeme here also...looking at that cross section it looks more like an internal disease, rathert han a C02/fert/light etc etc problem. I have also had this happen to some anubias. The whole lot went.

Hi all,
I'm not sure about it being a fungal or bacterial disease. I've grown Anubias for a while and they have always remained healthy. I've only had a mass "melt off" once, this was when our house-swap visitors managed to kill off 1/2 the fish in 20 days in 3 different tanks.

When I came back all the plants were enormous, except the Anubias which had all rotted off, leaves were intact, but the rhizomes had totally disintegrated. Details here: <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12705&p=133721>.

cheers Darrel

Back