• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias Snow White melted - will they recover ?

I’ve been doing some reading on growing Snow White as I’m getting a new batch soon. Based on the research done on albino plants, it seems like feeding the plant glucose solution may help it to grow? I’m going to try with 0.3 mol of sugar water solution on some and grow it emersed to try it out. Any thoughts?
Grow it in 0.3 mol glucose indefinitely, or just until it's bigger and then what's the plan? Grown with glucose in semi-solid matrix sounds a lot like tissue culture which ordinarily also requires aseptic conditions to avoid growing all kinds of other (undesireable) things...

This is entirely new to me so I’m not sure yet. I’ll see if I can stop it once it’s matured enough.

I was watching a green aqua video yesterday where Takayuki Fukada was mentioning these white anubias. It's here about 13 minutes in I was very surprised to hear his advise that the white anubias needs to be kept in the shade otherwise it will turn green. It's definitely alive but goes against the thoughts of this thread. Any body have thoughts on this are can we be skeptical and suggest it hasn't been there long?

Hah hah. Don't be a hater, but what I think he meant to say was that this plant grows so slowly (or not at all) that if you plant it where it gets lots of light exposure the white leaves will turn green because they will get covered with algae. Actually, maybe that IS was he was saying and it just translated approximately. Update on my ASW planted 13 days ago is it looks very much like it did the day it was planted (which isn't a big surprise other than I'm happy it hasn't all immediately melted/died).

Hah hah. Don't be a hater, but what I think he meant to say was that this plant grows so slowly (or not at all) that if you plant it where it gets lots of light exposure the white leaves will turn green because they will get covered with algae. Actually, maybe that IS was he was saying and it just translated approximately. Update on my ASW planted 13 days ago is it looks very much like it did the day it was planted (which isn't a big surprise other than I'm happy it hasn't all immediately melted/died).

No not a hater:D was just curious what people thought as most here believe it needs to be blasted with light to survive. I'll happily defer to his experience since I've never kept it and I think it's obvious he's a very talented aquascaper.

Hi all,
most here believe it needs to be blasted with light to survive.
I've been thinking about this, and working from the premise that it does have enough chlorophyll to actually allow it to survive, my guess is there must be a sweet spot where you have enough <"PAR for it to survive">, but not so much that Clive's <"photon torpedo"> of light burns <"it to a crisp">.

Garden shrubs with yellow leaves have little chlorophyll (or anthocyanins) and they often <"burn in strong sunlight">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
This plant is not purely white, so in a way it is a misnomer. It usually has some chlorophyll on its leaves and the rhizome always has a green tinge, but is it enough to survive and grow underwater? If I were to attempt this plant I would keep it in its pot, but on some aqua soil, in order to grow out the rhizome, so it has an energy store, as myself and others have found tissue culture rhizome plants to be sensitive. Underwater, I would only add it to a mature tank with CO2 and water column fertilisation, so it has the best chances.

1610642532195.png

Wish I'd read this thread before ordering any.. I had no idea quite how small it was.

Has anyone had any luck?

Just wondering whether to use superglue or thread to try and attach it

My Anubias stardust and Anubias pinto are doing well, even they grow incredibly slowly. I'll stick some on the windowsill just in case the first lot fail.

Attachments

• IMG_20210203_115332.jpg
    IMG_20210203_115332.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 139
I bought x2 of these last week, and so far they are doing great in my Pico. And no signs of melt. They Are just pushed into some Moss as dis not want to damage them.

Back