• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias surgery?

AndrewH

I have two anubias plants that are slow growing (low tech tank at the moment) but doing ok.

I had to trim off some old algae infected leaves some weeks ago, and now, the new growth is coming at either end of the plant "stem" (ie. the horizontal thick stem which the leaves grow from)

Im explaining it badly, so maybe a crude diagram...
Before trimming: oooooooooooo
After trimming: ooo-----------ooo

My question is - can I just cut out this centre portion out as no new leaves seem to be coming from there? This would create two smaller plants from the one.
Ideally I would like to keep the whole thing as its quite a good size.
In about a week, my tank is going super high-tech - maybe growth will be encouraged in this central portion then?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S. its not SP. "Nana", its the standard Anubias.

Yea as far as I know. They can be just cut with a very sharp blade (so as not to crush the rhizome).

That's what I'm planning to do with a new one I'm getting from a lad on here.

Hi all,
My question is - can I just cut out this centre portion out as no new leaves seem to be coming from there? This would create two smaller plants from the one.
I think it is unlikely that new leaves will grow from the bare rhizome section without any action. If you look at the two sections with leaves, do they both have growing tips? If they do you can section the plant into 3, the 2 rhizome sections with growing tips, and the bare central section (which will show evidence of old branching). The 2 ends with leaves will grow away, and you find that at least one of the axillary buds will break, and give another branch. Once the buds in the central section aren't suppressed by apical dominance, some will break and form new plants. This is likely to be quite a long process, as Anubias aren't very quick growers.

If only one end has a growing tip, you still need to section into 3 in the same places. The difference now is that both the old rhizome end and the central section will need to grow new shoots from axillary buds, the old rhizome section may be slightly quicker than the central section (because is still has leaves that can photosynthesise), but both are likely to take some time to grow new plants.

Suggestions for suitable cutting methods are here: <anubias nana | UK Aquatic Plant Society>

cheers Darrel

Thanks so much Darrel!
Your description of each end having growing tips, and the bare central rhizome showing old branching is absolutely spot on (have you been looking in my windows?!) ;)

I'll split it into two when doing my new layout at the weekend, and probably just discard the central portion.
Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Hi all,
Your description of each end having growing tips, and the bare central rhizome showing old branching is absolutely spot on
I thought that was probably the answer.
I'll split it into two when doing my new layout at the weekend, and probably just discard the central portion.
Don't discard it, just store it somewhere in the tank. Anubias take a long time to grow rhizomes, but they are very tough, so it definitely will sprout again. Because I don't care too much about aesthetics, I just fix any spare Anubias, moss or fern to a a bit of wood and drop it in the tank out of the way somewhere. I just ignore it then, until I need a spare plant, you'll be amazed what grows when you aren't looking.

Most of my tanks start fairly heavily planted, and eventually end up like aquatic Jenga, with piles of planted wood, and very little water. Every now and then I have a sort out, retrieve all the fish fry etc and have a thin. So far I've usually managed to sneak a spare tank somewhere to put all the debris in, but you can always sell/swap/give away the plants.

cheers Darrel

Back