• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any advice on how to soften water ?

Sedentary Sloth

Seedling
Hi guys
Looking for some advice on how to soften up my water ? I’m based in Stevenage and the water is ludicrous here, I’d like to soften it up because planning on setting up a Discuss planted tank
I’ve been told RO water is the best way but seems like a bit of a faf. Any advice is welcome!
Cheers :)

Why is hard water such an issue ?

Much better to work with the water you have. An HMA filter setup would help clean the water, some even dechlorinate as well, if correct pre-filter is used.

Obviously RO gives you 100% pure water, at great cost of course, for each litre of RO water you will typically waste 4-10 litres of water, depending on pressure and temperature !!! Not environmentally friendly. You will then need to cut the water with tap water or remineralising salts before use.

Yeah you can use hard water if you go with stendkers, otherwise I’d recommend soft water. Quite a few shops sell the stendkers so shouldn’t be too hard to find. Think devotedly discus in East Sussex sell mainly stendkers.

Cheers

Conor

Depends on just how hard the water is,whilst Stendker are bred for harder water I wouldn't consider putting them in my tap water which comes out at about 8.5 PH and a tds of over 600ppm :oops:

Back