• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any idea what is happening to my Staurogyne Repens?

Andy D

Hi All,

I am wondering if you can help diagnose what is happening to my Staurogyne Repens. I have lost about 4/5 stems of this now. Each one starts off with the leaves going grey and within 24 hours the whole plant has disintegrated.

I don't have any pics I am afraid as I remove the plants straight away. It does not appear to be any type of algae but I could be wrong.

Set-up:
Fluval Ebi 30 litre
11w PL light on for 5 hours per day.
FECO2 on 2 hours before lights on and off one hour before lights off.
Dose EI ferts
Fluval nano internal filter.

Sounds like melt due to low co2 or flow in that area Andy?

Thanks Nathaniel,

I did consider this and it may well be the case. I have cranked CO2 though as there are no fish in the tank but again I know it may not be getting to the plants. I will try to add some sort of picture to assist. I just suprises me that the plants in question deteriorate sooo quickly.

Pogo can deteriorate quickly, but that seems excessive.

Pogo can deteriorate quickly, but that seems excessive.

That's what I thought!

I saw a couple of greying leaves on Friday and meant to trim them off but did not get round to it. Came back to it less than 24 hours later and the plant was just mush with the stem just about intact. Roots were healthy though.

same has happened to me, I've trimmed the grey leaves away and done a 50% wc . I'll post my findings. Its weird tho right ! I've never seen anything like it. Looks like its turning to ash.

What's the substrate? Anaerobic substrate can cause this.
Lack of light can cause this. On a low tech tank same size I use similar light on 6hrs+window light. You may not be having enough light.
I don't think it's a co2 issue unless there's zero co2 in the tank which is kind of impossible.
Where does the melt start from? The entire plant at the same time, new leaves first or old leaves first?

Substrate: tetra complete/unipac Senegal grit.
Light: 2x45watt juwel high lites/ 1day+1nature
Tank: 160 litres
Co2: pressurised /DC on green
Melt is localised to areas of the carpet, doesn't seem to be choosy over young or old leaves.

So I've cut out the most effected areas of the carpet. Some of the little pieces of the it were still in good shape so I replanted them in the opposite side of the tank where their is more flow and co2 distribution. After two days these pieces are starting to turn grey. Will keep posting how its going

Back