• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any idea what this little chap is?!

Tom Michael

0B98EA01-60ED-4C90-A4FC-30E44663B567.jpeg

I’m still trying to figure how the fish got IN the tank :wideyed:

Spontaneous Fish Generation ... plant it and they will come
;)
Lol! I recently received a shipment of fish from a small eBay seller and this seemed to have got mixed up as a fresh water goby. Can’t see the goby and the loach isn’t that active so I really hope they make it

Hey @Tom Michael
If you look in the message I sent then i says 'I'm sure they are, the only thing that made me question myself was mouth shape' I think @MirandaB has quite probably answered why so my suggestion of mesonoemacheilus triangularis is now retracted!
I think maybe Homoloptera sexmaculata
I'll +1 on @MirandaB after having a quick look online mouth shape definitely seems more likely for starters.

I’m worried both the goby (neon blue) and loach won’t survive. They are both nowhere to be seen although it’s possible they are hiding in the various caves and dense planting. My SAE seems to have decided to stay in the sandy substrate at the front, where the loach was previously. Added various types of food to encourage feeding and more confidence, but they don’t venture out.

I think both are mainly biofilm grazers. If you put some pebbles in a bowl of water* in a sunny spot outdoors until they are covered in green algae, then put them in the tank, they might come out to feed on them. But the SAE may not like the competition, they can get quite stroppy sometimes.

*Pond water, from a fish-free pond would be ideal, to seed the culture with various organisms. Or from a water butt.

Back