• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any ideas what buce type this is?

bettaguy

I THINK it’s buce sp. Red. That’s what I have written in my Instagram story when I planted the tank but I’m just not convinced about it myself. Any help would be appreciated.

625A70AF-F197-4306-BF39-304855A0E16D.jpeg
783EDC2B-047E-444F-89B3-272C005113A5.jpeg
98B1CC94-A6EE-4281-90E3-3D96D6EDAD92.jpeg
44726F3D-388C-49CF-AFF2-B01202C9C835.jpeg

Could be a lot, most Buce in the trade have Fantasy names anyway and are yet not scientifically determined and have no officially documented botanical name. Some nurseries e.g. Dennerle are cultivating their own line now from several collected species and do no longer randomly import this plant sp. for conservational reasons.

From a lot of other sellers, taking advantage of the growing popularity, the plants are actually snatched from nature by amateur (poachers). And then it gets the name from the region it is taken from or simply a name reflecting growth characteristics.

Thus pick any name you like, that's anyway how they go in the trade. One seller might name this plant B. Sp. Pinky Curly and the next one names the same plant after the region it is found where ever that might be. :)

For example the Bucephalandra Sp. Sekadua was very early forerunner in the trade in this species. And Sekadua is a regency in Malaysia.
https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Sekadau+Regency,+West-Kalimantan,+Indonesië/@0.1551913,111.0707488,6.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x31fdf9eae9bde33d:0x6a43959c316aad0!8m2!3d-0.0697175!4d110.9983515?hl=nl

Mean while a few years later we have Bucephalandra sp. sekadua, red, wavy, blue, green, etc. etc. :) And the plant you are showing kinda looks simmilar.

To get an idea how scientific determination and name giving works, read this articly.
http://www.aroid.org/gallery/boyce/Schismatoglottideae of Borneo XXX – Bucephalandra - [Willdenowia 44, DOI httpdx.doi.org10.3372wi.44.44201] - Wong & Boyce 2014.pdf

Than you see it goes much deeper than just a curly leaf or a colour.

Last edited:
The name says all, really.
BUCEPHALANDRA....... yep, it is a Bucephalandra
SP. ......... we do not know the exact species
RED ........... it probaply is more red-ish, than anotherone, that is less red :)

So any species of Bucephalandra can be presented by such name .......... and actually should be, if you can't give a definite ID.
Or - like Marcel already said - you can present it by fantasy-names or origin. Such name must be surrounded by ' x '.
In this case it would be presented: Bucephalandra sp. 'red'

If you read Tropica's description of Bucephalandra sp. 'red', you will see that it actually cover several more or less different types. This is because most of the tissue culture material comes with the "fantasy names" as described, and can't really be botanically identified.
If this is the Tropica product (and it looks like it is) , you can be sure it is a comercially produced plant and not a wild collected, though.

Last edited:
Back