• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any Marine/Freshwater Biologists on UKAPS?

Kristoph91

Hi guys,

I'm starting a Marine Biology course at Uni in September, and would just like to know if there's anybody on here with a bit of experience in the academic area of it all.

Or people who haven't feel free to talk about it anyway!

:D

Well I did my undergrad in Zoology at Edinburgh, graduated 2006. Then did an MSc in Biological Photography & Imaging in Nottingham 2007/8, and am now back at Edinburgh and 3 years into my PhD looking at the ecology of a remote Hebridean subspecies of field mouse and about to hit the wall hard I think!

Not entirely sure a career in academia awaits me once I finish though. Want to do something that gets my hands dirty.

I did conservation at Aberdeen it had a lot of marine crossovers.

It's really not worth it at all mate, I'd stick with your joinery as your much more likely to find a well paid job. The last 4 years I've traveled all over the country for jobs in marine ecology, conservation and terrestrial studies. The last one I applied for had 450+ applicants.

Stick with your trade!

Great input guys, nice to hear what people have done/are going to do!

Harry, yeah I was studying Bioscience, but as soon as I had the offer of Marine Bio I jumped!

Back