• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any other use for a biorb, other than the local tip

Raws69

Hi

finally got all the fish out of the biorbs (well those that survived šŸ˜ž). Donā€™t want to sell then on flea bay as a fish tank. But are there other suggested uses for these? Otherwise this is going to the local tip...

cheers

I had JUST this experience a few years ago with a 15 litre baby one. (I also hate throwing things away.) It sat in the attic for ages, but this summer I finally set it up with some plants, and after a couple of months moved a tiny group of cherry shrimp in. That will be the limit of the livestock.

Itā€™s a bit of a pain to be honest since (1) you canā€™t have substrate so plants have to be tied to bogwood or similar, and (2) itā€™s really hard to get in to clean filter etc. without taking all the plants out, and (3) there is little room for floating plants. Iā€™ve now got a new sensibly-shaped tank on the way, BUT having said all this I am really glad I played with the biorb to learn something new before investing in any more kit.

Once the shrimp are in the new tank, Iā€™ll likely try to run the biorb without the filter, i.e. take the guts out, fill it with substrate, and just use it as a low tech tank with a light. Thatā€™s the plan, anyway....

Last edited:
Didnā€™t think the light was any good for a planted tank? And would you need to still use the filter or just remove it?

Very keen to see what you decide to do in the end - Iā€™ve spent hours on the web trying to find other examples of people reusing them, but not many out there

Iā€™m running the filter plus light at the moment as they came with the original tank - little Anubias is pretty happy, as are the mosses. Java fern looks a bit sickly, but not sure why. I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing, but figured Ā£8 on plants was worth the risk to see if I could make something nice from it - and it has mostly worked

Last edited:
I had one if these left on my desk when I was at the shop and I genuinely threw it out the second floor window:D it bounced a bit but was annoyingly unscathed. In the end I gave it to a lady who wanted to breed snails in it.
If I had one now I'd probably turn it into a terrarium.

Last edited:
Was thinking that, but again not seen any vids showing how. And assume it still needs some kind of filtration for condensation etc

Just look at the biOrb Air for inspiration (Iā€™ve seen some very successful Flow (15 & 30litre) setups done with Tropica soil and plants and Betta or select fish or shrimp/snails)
I do appreciate the marketing of these tanks along with the designed decor packages, at least itā€™s not as misleading as what some other companies promote - Iā€™m looking at the website, perhaps there are still some boxes with goldfish somewhere (none that Iā€™ve ever seen but itā€™s surprising how many people ask about keeping a goldfish in a biOrb)

Hi Iā€™ve seen this before and yes looks great, but this is a bioorb air specifically made for this and has a filtration device at the top. I have an old aquarium orb and Iā€™ve not seen any conversion options šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

My terrarium thoughts were more along the lines of a simply bottle garden type thing but for terrarium inspiration check out serpa designs on youtube.

Hi all,
aquarium orb and Iā€™ve not seen any conversion options
Use the light, but you don't need any filtration. It will maintain <"high humidity"> and allow you to grow more demanding ferns etc. Acid carboys used to be popular for this sort of thing, and they are as close to a BiOrb in shape as you can get.

cheers Darrel

Back