• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any such thing as a descent compact camera?

Simon D

I've been looking at DSLRs and would really like to get a Canon 50D but....

....I could justify spending the money to myself but couldn't explain it to the wife. I've got a friends Canon 40D on loan at the moment and love it but it's a not really practical for my needs. (I've got a two and a half year old and another on the way so carrying them around and their equipment is enough) without a descent DSLR to boot

I'm thinking of a top of the range compact like a Canon G10? I think it would meet my needs better. I've not tried one so if anyone has experience of the compact please let me know

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Have a look at the 'prosumer' models, those which offer lots of control, massive zoom ranges and so forth in a semi-compact package. It's a couple of years since I've looked at them so couldn't comment on specific models, but i remember the fugi models being exceptional value for money.

Simon D said:
I'm thinking of a top of the range compact like a Canon G10? I think it would meet my needs better. I've not tried one so if anyone has experience of the compact please let me know
Canons SD880 is just as good as the G10 and can be had for cheaper. :idea:

Cheers,

You can pick up Nikon D40 for around 250.00GBP. Not much bigger than a compact and the kit lens has great optics. Less expensive than some compacts too.

There's few guys with them where I work and for the money they're fantastic.

Thanks for all the advice and pointers.

Now I've got a bit more research to do and look into these options.

Much appreciated :!:

oldwhitewood said:
if I were in the market to get a digital camera now I'd be serioulsy thinking about getting one due to the size really.
Thats why I want to get a compact too, I don't want to carry my DSRL everywhere with me!! to big and heavy, want a decent camera that can fit in the pocket and take great photos, for me it will be the TZ5

Yep, LD

I just want a decent camera that I can drop in the wife's handbag or my pocket.

The Lumix TZ5 looks good. I've had a couple Panasonics and had good results but my current one has lost the plot and the flash is out of sinc with the shutter, that's putting me off getting another Lumix.

I like the idea of the G10 shooting in RAW or JPEG so I think I'll just throw some money at that. It doesn't look particularly pretty aesthetically but I think it will suit my needs better.

Thanks to all others for their advice and experiences ;)

Back