• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Any suggestions on this scape?

ScareCrow

I've not really gone to this level of effort to 'scape' a tank before. Inevitably I'll ruin it with plant placement and it will revert back to a display of plants rather than a coherent scape but I'd like to try and start from a good position.
This is where I've got so far.
The pieces in the corners are there to represent the amount of room I need to carry out maintenance.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20220125_153247.jpg

IMG_20220125_162418.jpg

What kind of wood is this? Is it possible to do anything to make the cut ends stand out a bit less? I like the feel from the piece on the right, is there a way for the piece on the left to have the same sort of direction as that one?

Thanks for your reply @Hufsa

It's a mix of Cherry, Oak and Beech.
Is it possible to do anything to make the cut ends stand out a bit less?
Ah yes I did mean to do that, good spot. I'll break the ends and make them look more natural.
I like the feel from the piece on the right, is there a way for the piece on the left to have the same sort of direction as that one?
Just before I took the pic, I added some pieces as I thought it was a bit symmetrical and I have a lot of epiphytes to create display shelves for :lol: I've also faffed about with it since taking the photo.
I'll do a before and after shot so you can see what it was like before.

I started with this
IMG_20220125_182555.jpg

Then after posting the previous pics I tried these two options. The last one is my favourite so far but then I do err on the side of more is more with hardscape :lol:
IMG_20220125_175230.jpg

IMG_20220125_183707.jpg

You mention a lot of epiphytes, will all of the wood be covered or just portions? I would decide which branches are to remain clear or partially clear of plants, these will be the most important for the look of the scape. Then you can add branches that you know you will cover with plants in strategic locations around the "display" wood, taking into account the size of your epiphytes etc.
I realise this could be considered pretty useless advice, but you need only take a look at my cruddy tank to realise im not the best one to take aquascaping advice from anyway, so I believe the fault rests entirely on you :lol:

You mention a lot of epiphytes, will all of the wood be covered or just portions? I would decide which branches are to remain clear or partially clear of plants, these will be the most important for the look of the scape. Then you can add branches that you know you will cover with plants in strategic locations around the "display" wood, taking into account the size of your epiphytes etc.
I realise this could be considered pretty useless advice, but you need only take a look at my cruddy tank to realise im not the best one to take aquascaping advice from anyway, so I believe the fault rests entirely on you :lol:
Haha, so my 'plan' is pretty much all of it will be covered by at least mosses/liverworts. Then I'll add some smaller twiggy bits for detail and so I'm not tempted to add more plants.
Oh and your tank looks great, if I achieve something as nice I'll be more than happy.

Right hand side looks like a stick figure to me with a huge ahhh growth from right below his belly button and his head just out of the tank, which is distracting to me. Then again i see stuff in everything so dont value my opinion too much. I like left :)

smaller twiggy bits for detail
Sounds like a good plan! Make sure you add one that could possibly be construed to look like
a huge ahhh growth
I think Wolf will really appreciate that :thumbup:

If youre gonna cover it all with plants I think youre gonna need more hardscape tbh, not enough surface for sufficient plants!

Then again i see stuff in everything
I'm sure I've seen another post of yours where you saw the shape of something in the wood. Have you ever tried the inkblot test?
Sounds like a good plan! Make sure you add one that could possibly be construed to look
I'll do what I can :lol: need to find some burl cherry.
expect the bark to rot and cause you water quality issues
I've seen this mentioned before but I can't say that I've had issues with it in the past. The only thing I've had problems with is when the bark does start to come off. The cable ties become loose and anything that was super glued separates.

I am sorry for... well all of this drawing. Made on my phone 😆 I added the beard since I couldn't fit a head above it like I wanted to. I'm glad the appendage is growing from his belly button and not somewhere inappropriate.

Attachments

• sketch-1643146033920.png
    sketch-1643146033920.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Back