• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any tips for glueing moss to wood?

scapegoat

Hi I'm in the process of setting up a tank and want to cover some large pieces of wood with java moss, the shape of the wood means tying is not an option so I think the only option is to glue but I have no idea how this is done. I've read quite a few people on here use the technique but I can't find any details on how its done. Does anyone have any good techniques or tips?
Thanks in advance Jacob

But is that superglue does not destroy the structure of moss? I know that it can dissolve some plastics materials, so I would hesitate to use it with plants.

No It's fine, i have used it to secure the roots of ferns to wood and rocks as well :thumbup:

Hi all,
Does anyone have any good techniques or tips?
Don't get the super-glue on your fingers when they are wet, it is apparently the contact with the moisture that cures the glue and it very rapidly glues your fingers together.
have found the superglue gel to be better than than the runny stuff as well
The liquid formulation works, but gel is a lot easier to keep away from your fingers etc. It doesn't appear to have any toxic effects on the moss.

cheers Darrel

Ahhhhhh right! I used the liquid form and ended up with big white blobs when it came into contact with water.

I used the liquid form and ended up with big white blobs when it came into contact with water.
Afraid that's the way it is, can't really avoid that, gotta use as little as possible ;)

Hi all,
So I can just use the superglue from the £1 shop or does it have to be a specific one?
Just needs one that says "cyanoacrylate", and don't buy a big tube unless you have a huge amount to glue, as it always go off once it is opened. The gel is more expensive, but you can get high viscosity liquids, the one I'm looking at says "PC16".

cheers Darrel

When I first attempted it I used liquid superglue and it left huge white marks all over the place. It didn't look very good but the marks very quickly disappeared under the moss, etc. So it doesn't really matter - just go for it.

Back