• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any use BOC gases

GlenD

Hi guys, I'm in the process of setting up my tank. I've decided to you use injected CO2. It turns out I've got a BOC gas place about a mile or two from my house. Two questions for anybody who uses them.

1. Is this the CO2 I need? https://www.boconline.co.uk/shop/en/uk/gas-a-z/carbon-dioxide/suregas-cylinder-569
2. The price of the cylinder, is that for a refill? is that a full cylinder?, do you keep the same cylinder or do they supply a new one each time? any other costs? etc.. etc.. etc..

Thanks
Glen

As lazybones said you get a cylinder on a contract and pay each time you swap an empty for a full cylinder.You would probably be better off economically using a fire extinguisher ...theres plenty info in here about how to do this although its quite straightforward

For some reason I don't like the idea of the fire extinguisher, my wife will moan about why I'm trying to put a fire out in the fish tank :).. I have found another place in Enfield, CO2 Gas Ltd but there smallest cylinder on the website is 81cm tall and my cabinet is 76cm.

l found BOC expensive. I found a Pub supplier. £20 for a lifetime returnable deposit and £20 for a 6.5kg refill. If too large, then use a CO2 Fire Extinguisher (FE) which are cheap when time expired. Standard gas regulators should fit. Beware of USA/Chinese regulators they may be a different fit to UK CO2 gas cylinders. Hobby cylinders from LFS are very expensive and typically brand specific.

Hope this is of some help and good luck with your project.

Also do you need to insure the gas bottle / tell your home contents insurance company?
Why would you need to do that ....Most homes have a gas supply running through the house and electricity as well......and you dont specifiy that .

Do you have a link for London Gases as others might be interested .

Whats your objection to a FE ...all homes should have them anyway
Very different grade of gas ... though the impurities tend to remain at the bottom, so as long as you switch cylinders at ~10% remaining gas, livestock issues are unlikely

Very different grade of gas ... though the impurities tend to remain at the bottom, so as long as you switch cylinders at ~10% remaining gas, livestock issues are unlikely
Whats that got to do with what I posted

Whats that got to do with what I posted

You queried what’s wrong with fire extinguishers
My response Gas grades ie FE gas is among lowest grade
Most people assume that FE CO2 kills via high levels of CO2, not taking into account potential impurities/toxins

FE CO2 is quite high grade, no issues with using it in fish tank. Obvious is has to be quite "clean" as you don't want people dying from CO2 impurities if they ever fight a fire.

What it can't be used for is bread making and CO2 supplies in hospitals, for obvious reasons.

I have used 26 off 2Kg extinguishers in my tank in last couple of years and no unexplained fish deaths. Monster plants though.

You queried what’s wrong with fire extinguishers
My response Gas grades ie FE gas is among lowest grade
Most people assume that FE CO2 kills via high levels of CO2, not taking into account potential impurities/toxins

I didnt query what was wrong with Fire Extinguishers . I asked about OP putting this

"For some reason I don't like the idea of the fire extinguisher
,,,,,,,,, my wife will moan about why I'm trying to put a fire out in the fish tank"

Back