• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anybody Else Given up on Dechlorinating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Spencer

After several occassions where I have forgot to dechlorinate during a water change, and then running out of the stuff without the time to buy some more in, I decided to stop.

Neither during the times I forgot, nor since stopping dechlorinating totally, have I noticed any problems.

So, are there many others of you out there that don`t bother dechlorinating at water change time?

Dave.

Haven't used the stuff for about 2 years, never had a single problem.

Me neither, not with Southern Water - but I haven't kept any uber-expensive, uber-sensitive fish. No casualties and no impact on filter bacteria in 3 years. :D

Cheers,

how big a water change are you guys doing? if I'm only doing 10% or so I don't bother with it. But larger ones I always do.

i use it, mainly because my water smells of chlorine and I have lost the odd fish after a 50% water changes when I've run out.

I can smell it when I run the tap but I use pond dechlor which lasts for yonks anyway :)

Approx 10ml per week for 60 or so litres so a £10 500ml bottle lasts 50 weeks. near enough a year :)

AC

I have no need for it as I use RO water but I have a friend who didn't dechlor for years and then one day he lost nearly all his fish after a water change, most likely due to higher than normal chloramine levels. Rushed out and brought some dechlor and all was well afterwards.

Somebody else I know of used to tricke feed his koi pond with tap water until one day he came home to dead fish. Can't remember the exact details of what happened but it was something that the water board got wrong.

You may get away with it for ever but it only takes one little error. The choice is yours.
James

I used to use it all the time and then I stopped for a year or so, I would let the water sit instead if possible but not always, but then recently I had some fish deaths after water changes (I very very rarely have fish deaths usually fish jumping out of the tank or something silly like that) so I am back using it now for good. I use Seachem prime, very economical. Better safe than sorry, you could have a wipeout one day.

i dont for top ups but do for 50% water changes. I wouldnt want to risk the wter board having a problem and boosting the chlorine in the water to compensate. For instance after the recent Alwen incident welsh water boosted the chlorine output to ensure no bugs were in the supply and lots of people noticed the difference in taste. Im not sure if this would have any possible effect on my fish/shrimps so for now I keep on dosing.

Dave, you wouldnt have been affected by this as you mainly get Dee water :)

Hi all,I use seachem prime on every water change because of the amount (50g) I remove /replace,5mls per 50g straight in the tank,never lost any fish yet ,
Regards john

i use it when i remember, if i run out i dont panic about it though,
I used to use POND Doctor which for £6 500ml treated 11,250litres, but i recently changed over to seachem prime, which costs £10 500ml, but treats 20,000litres :wideyed:

Prime is about the only decently priced dechlorinator out there, especially for seachem too!
thanks.

It's usually long term effects it has on fish.. ie not just clorine etc etc but heavy metal removal, pond dechlol would be best value... but getting from a wholesaler it works out even cheaper lol :p.

leaving water to stand for 24 hrs gases off clorine etc but still wont remove any heavy metals that may be present :)

interesting really that many people dont use it, comment above about spawning discus in untreted water is easily done, usually the chemicals in tap water(unless some change has made the water board add more) doesnt usually kill fish straight off but long periods of time subjected to these chemicals of course will have an effect longterm... and may well shorten a fishes life a tad.

I use Prime just in case. The way I look at it, we want to minimize the ammonia in our tanks, therefore I'll use Prime in order to preserve as many nitrfiying bacteria as I can so that they can help to keep the ammonia low. Of course the plants will be using some ammonia themselves but some help from bacteria doesn't hurt. I'd rather use it than regret not using it.

JenCliBee said:
leaving water to stand for 24 hrs gases off clorine etc but still wont remove any heavy metals that may be present :)

As well as the heavy metals, I have heard that if your water board uses chloramine instead of chlorine this can not be gassed off.

I could smell the chlorine in my water for 2 days last week when I was drinking it (which is unusual) so I am not risking it!

a1Matt said:
I could smell the chlorine in my water for 2 days last week when I was drinking it (which is unusual) so I am not risking it!

I can smell it too on rare occassions, so I would consider dechloronating then. Other than that, I don`t think I am going to bother any more. I was always forgetting to do it anyway.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back